Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-May-2004, 09:40
everton

White van man for a day...........

So................Tuesday me and my mate Mike loaded up the 999R into the back of the white Sprinter. Lashed her down well and headed up to the M40 to cause mayhem on the motorways of Britain.

First stop JHP in Coventry to collect some DP rearsets that had been ordered from the factory................luverley bits & bobs.

Very impressed with JHP this being my first visit. Just about every model on display………..a nice little race section……….windows into the workshop etc, etc.

Ran into Keith (Madmav) so had a good chin wag with him (hope your trip went well Keith!) then back onto the road after bidding the very friendly staff farewell.

After negotiating the roads of Coventry, heading for the M69, it is becoming evident to Mike & me how courteous other van & truck drivers are to us fellow white van peeps!! However, there is a growing and overwhelming urge to cut up car drivers, block their overtaking maneuvers, hog motorway lanes and racing 911s up the M1. We drew the line at bikes of course…………..anyone on a bike wanting to filter through or overtake was allowed space and ample opportunity to pass with a cheery wave…………..but wooaaaaaaahh………hold on matey in the silver AMG Merc, get back behind me as I run out of steam on this long climb up this stretch of the M1 past Nottingham.

Eventually we arrive at Nelly’s unit - Cornerspeed just in time for lunch. Unload bike and over to you Neil with all collected bits and pieces ready for fitting. Neil heads over to his display case and collects my beautiful STM slipper ready for fitting. Crikey……….what a work of art and how light it is……………unbelievable. I swear there’s a tear in Neil’s eye as he shows me the certificate of manufacture, attention to detail and the individual stress graph produced with each clutch unit to display the main spring test.

So……………3 hours later my baby’s ready for the road, new clutch (bugger me the original basket and plate is so heavy against the STM), chain, and rearsets resplendent in place.

It’s been said many times before but Neil is a top bloke………….doesn’t mind a chat as he goes about his work with outstanding attention to detail………explaining what’s happening each step of the way and giving me an insight to the wonders (and horrors) of Ducati manufacturing and engineering.

All done by tea time (nice cuppa with real milk………….what’s all the cruel gibes about Nelly’s powdered milk all about then!!) and ready to load and go.

Back down the M1, M69 & M40 in the evening rush where the despicable white van tactics can be used to great effect

So the R’s ready for the BMF……………quick call to Mark yesterday to say all is ready and see you there on Friday.

Can’t wait for tomorrow & the ride up to Peterbog…………….hope the weather holds!!

Hope you don’t mind my little ramble but I wanted to plug………..

STM clutches……………..fabulous and amazingly quiet with a satisfying progressive thunk when used unlike the jangling standard unit

JHP for getting other parts for me and the 10% off for being a DSC member which more than covered the cost of the diesel

Nelly & Cornerspeed………..everything you hear is true…………..top man

Nelly’s tea with real milk

Mercedes Benz for the Sprinter van (white of course)…………….drives great, ours got up to 95 wind behind & downhill in a straight line (on a motorway with nobody else around officer)…………………one little complaint the load level is a bit high for running heavy bikes up ramps

Finally white van culture……………..curious………………..similar to biking in one way through the courtesy and nod here and there.

Roll on the BMF!!!!
Old 20-May-2004, 18:46
Dibble

mate ...

JHP are quality .... always a friendly word and some help ...

Nelly ... my views on Cornerspeed are very well documented, the mans a star .... once again proven by the way my bike carved through france on a wave of torque due to his quality setting up ...

White vans ... the nuts .... but ice ceam vans are more fun ... lol
Old 20-May-2004, 19:32
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Big cheer for the white vans, mine is called Oscar, 14 years old and loves transporting bikes to race tracks, his hobbies include ??? well not a lot really he is after all only a van.

Nice insight to your day Dave
Old 20-May-2004, 19:36
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Dave sounds like you had fun day mate..... let me know how you get on with the stm slipper..... what one did you go for ??
Old 20-May-2004, 20:22
everton

Dave,

Yeah..........it was a fun day, and you know..........the one real mistake I made was not to put my kit in the van so I could ride home the last hour or so

As for the clutch it's the Ducati EVOLUZIONE (endowed with degressive spring) cat.no: 003MG001

Some details are here: Ducati EVOLUZIONE slipper clutch kit

With more detail at: Slipper clutch detail

It sure is a beaut

Any you Dawwwwset guys coming upto the BMF?
Old 20-May-2004, 23:54
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Dave cheers for the info...... looks like a nice bit of kit....Not sure about BMF i need to get my head down and crack on with some work this weekend.... Have a nice time hope the weather stays good for you.
Old 20-May-2004, 23:56
MotoGP God

Quote:
Any you Dawwwwset guys coming upto the BMF?

They might not be but a few of us Oxford guys are.
Old 21-May-2004, 00:45
everton

That's good news Kev. When you planning to come up...........we should sneak off and have a pint.
Old 21-May-2004, 10:49
MotoGP God

I'm working to midnight tonight so I can't travel up until first thing tomorrow, still need to blag/borrow a vehicle pass to get Kev's Senna 3 in so he can have it on show next to your bike.
Old 21-May-2004, 21:46
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Hey Everton, what rear sets have you got, the black dp ones with alloy pegs.....£500+ ??

Im contemplating taking mine off(sorry) I find them a bit painfull on the old sports injuries!

let me know what you got??