Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jun-2004, 01:04
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Mirrors

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket mirrors that show anything other than elbows?

Rob
Old 09-Jun-2004, 07:27
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
I don't know where they come from but I've seen two types. Fairing mounted one on stalks (ugly) and dinky little end-bar mounted ones (looks kind of quirky, but OK). The trouble with the latter type was that some mini indicators were fitted to the fairing and they looked truly awful.
It all looks a bit too Heath Robinson, not suitable on a 999.

I've learned to get an adequate view out of my standard mirrors by looking under my elbows, but I'll never consider them good. Still, there's no satisfactory alternative that I have seen, not yet anyway.
Old 09-Jun-2004, 12:50
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Looking under the elbows seems to work best but in reality there is no substitute for frequent lifesaver glances over your shoulder.
Old 09-Jun-2004, 18:32
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod
Looking under the elbows seems to work best but in reality there is no substitute for frequent lifesaver glances over your shoulder.

Couldn't agree more.
Old 09-Jun-2004, 21:34
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
If you go to your local B&Q they do a good range of bathroom mirrors..... with some small modifications and some silicon to stick to the standard ones..... they look well cool..... sorry no pics !!!!
Old 09-Jun-2004, 22:17
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
For me the lifesaver only reveals someone almost alongside. I have 2 problem areas with the standard mirrors.

First is filtering in London traffic where I need to spot the dispatch riders that are filtering more agressively that I am.

Second is on the A12 where although I am making good progress, some people are seriously moving and swing out to overtake at the last moment. If I use the mirror I only get the right lane. The lifesave does not help much and I would rather not accessories the back on the bike with one of the German Executive boxes

If I contort myself to get a good view it upsets my flow and I miss my opertunity.

Of course I am a little wider than some, so I diet may be the solution, but I would prefer something less drastic

Rob
Old 09-Jun-2004, 23:40
Big Twin

How about these for a unique fashion statement !!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bugeyes.com/index.html
Old 10-Jun-2004, 09:02
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by iang
How about these for a unique fashion statement !!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bugeyes.com/index.html

Just when you think you've seen everything ...
Old 10-Jun-2004, 10:43
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Not sure about the bug eyes, looks like you ran into a dentist's tool convention wearing those things. Hey but if they work !! On the other hand why not try out the "reevu" helmet. This is a system of plastic, mirrored lenses which bend the light source entering the back of the helmet onto a small screen just beneath the brow of the helmet. You simply glance up at it to see a panoramic view of what's behind you. Check their website address: http://www.reevu.com

[Edited on 10-6-2004 by Rod]
Old 11-Jun-2004, 22:22

Could always mount a little pencil camera under the tail and rig up head-up display onto windscreen...?
I use the mirrors to check whether I remembered to do up my zip pockets on my leathers as I ride along.
Ned