Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Mar-2004, 12:58
Mille

999 First Impressions

Having done a couple of hundred miles on the 999 i have to say that the overal package is better in imo than the 916sps that i also own.I have even started to like the shape.It is easier to ride on a day to day basis with exception of the mirrors. The riding position reminded me of the y2k Fireblade that once owned. I guess the 999 was designed for road use where as the 916 was very much a track bike with lights.I would be interested in the views of others that have had or still got 916/996/998 and now ride a 999.
Old 18-Mar-2004, 13:35
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
used to have a 916 bip and havnt switched back that much but when i did i really did find the 916 much harder to turn and generally it felt heavier and bulkier. the 999 is definitely easier to just hop on and ride, particularly after a bit of a break ie over winter.
i am one of the few that seemed to like the looks from day one, especially in mono form and with the rear number plate area cleaned up.
i also have a 916 next to my 999 at the moment and while accepting the 916/996/998 design is a classic i have no desire to jump on the 916.
Old 18-Mar-2004, 23:20
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I went from 916-996-998.All of them superb bikes in their own way.I'd probably still have the 998 now but it was stolen last June.With the insurance money I bought a v.low milage 999bip.I was'nt sure I'd made the right decision at first,but now I absolutely love it.Its faster than my 998 and so easy to ride.
As for the looks,well there are a few bits that I'm not desparate about,but overall I think it looks good.
Old 19-Mar-2004, 00:32
500SD

Mood: Very happy with the Multi
Also had 916 > 996, but just too old for the riding position, did my neck in after about an hour. But both bike absolutely awesome.
Liked the looks of the 999 from the off, have to say I felt in the minority at the time:P
Done 6K miles on it now, and never looked back, no nothing to do with the mirrors
Old 19-Mar-2004, 08:35
everton

Quote:
did my neck in after about an hour.

.............and wrists, and forearms, and lowerback, and shoulders

I love my 999. It is just so usable and the R has less adjustability re: riding position than the Bip or S. I do miss my SPS but for two things only.............

Looks..........will always beat the 999 IMO
Sound..........even with a full Termig system it doesn't sound as good as my old SPS. I love riding out with the other DSC members on their 916/996/998s as they just sound so much better than my bike.

I must admit, reading the mini report in MCN this week, about the 998 Final Edition, got me all nostalgic but not for long. The wife saw the look in my eye and reminded me of all the good things I had to say about the 999.