Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Oct-2004, 19:27
Mille

Mood: jolly chap
HELP 999 clocks / red key

Hello all,
Help needed for my 999 bp 2003, the orange system fault came on and she is running at about only 30 bhp all electrics seem fine no fuses gone. talked to various ducati dealers who think possibly clocks gone t*ts up but and a big but, i do no have the red key or code card to allow the system to be reset. does anyone know how i can get around this or anybody had this clock problem happen to them.
Any help at all would be fantastic or any names and numbers of anyone who knows what they are doing !!!!

BIG TIP
DO NOT BUY A 749 / 999 WITHOUT THE RED KEY OR CODE CARD !!!!!

Thanks again all
Regards Phillip obbc

[Edited on 3-11-2004 by PHILLIP]
Old 26-Oct-2004, 20:25
GTL

Phillip

If the EOBD light is on
When ignition is off hold down the rh button on the clocks and turn on ignition, you should then get a screen showing EFI and then there should be an error code shown i.e 19.2

If you get the code it should give an indication of the fault
Old 28-Oct-2004, 15:16
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Phillip Let me know how you get on mate....in the same boat as you... 1 key only ...no red key or code card

Had a chat with Ducati south london today they supplied the bike new.... they said you need to replace the ECU clocks and ignition switch at a cost of £2000

All i can say is i hope the previous keeper finds them or i never get any faults with the clocks/ ecu or lose the only key i have got !
Old 28-Oct-2004, 21:37
Mille

Thanks for replies so far, the EOBD is only on when the ignition is on, so now looking for someone who is breaking a 2003 999 bp and i shall grab the ecu system etc ,

anyone know anyone ?
or do you know anyone that has had the clock problem with 749 /999

PLEASE !!!!!!

Regards Phill
Old 28-Oct-2004, 23:01
GTL

Phillip

Have you tried the procedure to get the error code?

Then maybe able to see where the fault is
Old 29-Oct-2004, 00:01
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
I bought a bumped 749 from salvage and thought I would be able to get a red key for it, till I rang up ducati uk and they said I would have to replace egnition,cowling around egnition which as a chip in it,clocks and ecu for a crazy price! so I sent off for the log book and when it came back I wrote a letter to previous owner and didnt get a reply. any way found a man who was selling the items with zero miles and bought the items which was required. then got a nice email off for previous owner saying he had the red key and alarm fob!!!! so if it was a 749 set you needed I am the man.
Old 29-Oct-2004, 00:22
Mille

Hi Bolds and Mark,
thanks for replies, firstly i dont think that the 749 and 999 systems would be the same but thanks for the offer, reference the error code no i havent tried that yet, is it covered in the owners manual, if not any ideas how i do that because that sounds quite possible Thanks very much !
Regards Phill
Old 29-Oct-2004, 01:18
Mille

hi Bolds,
Just tried the error test, it is the left button, not right but i got there in the end, and it said error EFI 11.1 SO THATS GOOD !!!!!! NOW WHAT THE BLOO*Y HELL DOES THAT MEAN, I NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT THE ERROR CODES ARE,
THANKS MATE.
Regards Phill
Old 29-Oct-2004, 10:51
GTL

Phillip
Sorry about the wrong button!!

Code 11.1 is listed as Vertical Coil -short circuit to battey positive.

Check the coil as they sometimes get water down inside and also the connetions inside the coil suffered from vibration causing break in connector inside coil. also check the coil wiring for breakage
Old 29-Oct-2004, 18:38
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
marksduc748, I'm not so sure that the clocks are different from one model to the next as I seem to remember that there is a way of setting them setup up for any 749 / 999

Murray Mint