Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-May-2006, 23:01

Okay, serviced now, the clutch slave cylinder had given up the ghost. It was replaced for £65. They cannot be rebuilt as its a sealed unit, as is the master cylinder which is £85 to replace apparantly.

According to Italsport in Bury, Lancs (highly recommended) its the first time that they had known one of the new type of sealed units let go. I almost felt pleased with myself !!

As Dave0749 says the sure fire sympton is hydraulic fluid visible when you loosen off the slave cylinder.

New belts installed and slave cylinder replaced for a reasonable £330
Old 11-May-2006, 09:10
Montjuic

JonB

Glad you got it sorted thanks for the recommndation living in Southport myself I may run the bike over to Italsport.

If and when I get the bike back that is

Regards

DaveO
Old 15-May-2006, 07:53
Mille

After covering 150miles yesterday I limped home with engine still biting with the clutch pulled right back to the bars. I tried to bleed the clutch but no luck there and if I pull the clutch lever in and out I can hear hissing from the slave. Sounds like another replacement.
Old 17-May-2006, 07:59
Mille

I got my bike fixed yesterday at Louigi Moto. There was air in the system and it needed bleeding at the nipple in the resovoir. The guys at Louigi Moto are tops in my book, cant recomend them enough!
Old 17-May-2006, 09:52
500SD

"I got my bike fixed yesterday at Louigi Moto. There was air in the system and it needed bleeding at the nipple in the resovoir. The guys at Louigi Moto are tops in my book, cant recomend them enough!"

only cause I showed em where the bleed nipple was in the MC!!!!

Old 17-May-2006, 13:35
Big Twin

So it was you with the dodgy clutch, Tortuga!

I was waiting for louigi to deliver my bike, but he said hwe had to sort out a clutch first.

Sounds like if you run a 999, you need to buy a brake bleeder to keep on top of it.

Seriously, it isn't good enough. I run a stock slave and master cylinder on my 748, and I can hardly recall any hydraulic issues with brake or clutch (except the crap rear brake, fair enough ) in 54k miles. I bleed the brakes occasionally, but I never touch the clutch hydraulics between services.
Old 17-May-2006, 18:09

Hmmm

Did the guys check the slave cylinder over, or did they just bleed the master. The air has got into the system somehow and chances are, without finding the source, it will do so again - soon !

Mine was fine for a while after having bled it, but the problem quickly reappeared

A tell tale sign is that hydraulic fluid is visible when you remove the slave cylinder. It may be worth a quick look before you set off for a long run
Old 18-May-2006, 07:41
Mille

Moto 748, I take it your bike was the yellow 748 with monster mileage?
It seems your very local to me, small world!

I have had problems with the clutch since the slave was replaced 12 months ago at a dealer, It was ok at first but the bite on the clutch crept further and further back until on a thrash to Abergavenny it became almost unridable. It went back to the dealers and after they had looked it over they said that one of the nuts was loose and wasn't done up properly. However once I collected it it still did not feel right, the clutch was light and the bite weel back on what it used to be. But they said it was ok! Well after a good ride Sunday it became worse and the bite by the end of the day was back on the bars. Louigi guys think it was never bled in side the resovoir and so thats why it never felt right after the loose nut incident.
Time will tell and fingers crossed.
Sorry about the delay in getting your bike back moto 748, Louigi wasn't impressed that it was raining in Bristol anyway as I arrived slightly damp and he said he had to take a bike to where I had just come from. I said to him oooooyyyeaaahhh very wet there, best fix this and wait until it eases off.
Old 18-May-2006, 07:54
Big Twin

Yes, that's mine. We met at the Bristol Italian Auto Moto thingey.

Anyway, it doesn't kill louigi to actually ride a bike for once!
Old 18-May-2006, 08:04
Mille

It wasn't you riding through Whitchurch Sunday was it? I passed a yellow un in Whitchurch on my way back from the Ducati meet at Wrantage/Taunton.