Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Apr-2004, 10:39
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Having now spoken to the guy selling them it appears they originally came off an ST and the fact they have the cush drive built in says they're more than likely the standard 5 spoke alloy wheels (badged Marchesini but made by Brembo(?)). This means they only weigh 1 LB less than the 3 spokes fitted to SS's. They also look different from the "genuine" lightweight Marchesinis.

As Jools says a track school will improve your riding, although the wheel was standing at £150 with no bidders, so you'd have trouble finding a decent school that cheaply.

As an aside apparently Motorrad (a German magazine) did a test fitting lightweight wheels to one end of the bike at a time. It turned out that the rear had the most noticeable effect. Can't see it myself and I only read it on the Interweb thingy so.....
Old 07-Apr-2004, 10:44
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Fiscus,

If you want a pair of 5 sokes there are a set on Ebay at the mo.

Regards,

Rob

Item number: 2470886460
Old 07-Apr-2004, 10:58
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Thanks Rob.

Those were the ones me and Frank were talking about.

Darren
Old 07-Apr-2004, 12:13
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by FiscusFish

(?)). This means they only weigh 1 LB less than the 3 spokes fitted to SS's. They also look different from the "genuine" lightweight Marchesinis.

Could someone tell me how to tell the difference between magnesium and ally 5-spoke Marchesinis (on a 916)?

As an aside apparently Motorrad (a German magazine) did a test fitting lightweight wheels to one end of the bike at a time. It turned out that the rear had the most noticeable effect. Can't see it myself and I only read it on the Interweb thingy so.....

I can't see it either. My race 600 (a thundercat) steered much easier at all speeds with the front magnesium Dymag compared to standard (with either 207GP or Mich inter on both). The difference between std and Dymag rear was indetectable in both handling and acceleration.

It's worth noting that a pair of disks add 6-7lbs to front wheel weight, ie. the same as a mag Marchesini according to Shazzam's figures. [My disk weights are from the 600 again, both std and EBC Prolites weigh the same] The effect on gyroscopic force will be less however, as the weight is concentrated a little closer to the hub compared to that of the wheel.
Old 07-Apr-2004, 14:17
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Ive got the reverse problem..I found a new marchesini magnesium rear in some stock I bought - see pic - yum yum !, but need a front..my concern was if it would upset the bike if I just had a rear for the time being..some people say not...I assume it will still steer a little quicker, even if you only change one of the wheels, but I am told it shouldnt effect the handling??

Nat
Old 07-Apr-2004, 14:29
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

WOW Nat - That is a tasty piece of kit.

On Ebay (somewhere) I also spotted some DB Carbon/Magnesium composite wheels that were a cancelled order that look STUNNING....mag centre and Carbon rim....but I think its for a single sided back.

I'm sorry but Shazzam has spoken
and he said "the biggest bang for your buck on a motorcycle is to buy lighter wheels" - pardon the paraphrase..... so I'll be bidding too.....

I was actually looking at the Mick Boddice track school.....CCS and Donington are a bit too expensive for me with limited track time. Howver, I read a review (I think in 'Bike' mag) that gave it a big thumbs up.
£175 using own (road legal) bike or £250 for a full day using a CBR600RR - which is the option I fancied....until a nice wheel came along of course

Heres a link:

http://www.boddicedarleytraining.co.uk/

Enjoy
Old 07-Apr-2004, 21:41
WSB Hero

Booo Hoooo - didnt win the nice Marchi on Ebay, looked promising for a few final mins (until the snipes started coming in !!!).

I went to my limit of £250 but it went all the way to £287.

I must weigh my front Marchi sometime when built up and see if it compares with this guys stat's......great website anyways for 'SS' guys

http://lonestar.texas.net/~arch/ss/history.html

Ho Hummmmmmmmm
Old 23-Apr-2004, 12:44
WSB Hero

please read updated first original thread as well.....

ps - How do you DOUBLE the weight of a Mag wheel....

Simple......just add two standard discs !!!

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by Iconic944ss]