Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 28-Jul-2006, 20:39
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
What plate and where did you put it in the clutch pack?

Dunno, Sigma Performance were sponsoring me then and they did the work.

Old 28-Jul-2006, 20:42
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
It's awesome Tony. That RS could not pull away anywhere - even through the fast kneedown Jim Clarke Esses at the back of the circuit where the 250 should be able to make use of it's corner speed and lightweight. The 800 clung to it all the way.

I think the relatively gentle power, lots of grunt and lightweight really works well for it. The only criticism I have of the bike is that it needs a fair heave on the bars to get it to change direction through those esses but, once it's on its ear it is exemplary.

Maybe try a little more ride height and see how you get on with it. It might steer a bit quicker. I like mine with a lot of rideout so they steer quicker.

I rode this years model R1 around the Stowe circuit for two days last week. They hammer, goddamn that thing was fast!!! Whenever you were pinned in 2nd or 3rd and you hit the bumps on the back straight the front would come up and the bars would get a real wobble on and then it would touch down and just keep on rocketing! And it steered quite quickly, I was very impressed.
Old 28-Jul-2006, 20:44
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Got my entries back for Croft this weekend. It's 10 months since I last raced and I'm looking forward to it again.

It's the race debut for my 800ss. I'm about to realise a long-held ambition to race a Ducati. Ok so, it's not a 4-valver but, somehow that doesn't matter.
You are right,.it does'nt matter.What does matter is that its a Ducati.
Best of luck for the racing.Let us know how you get on.
Old 29-Jul-2006, 00:11
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Thanks KeefyB.

I've had the 800's clutch apart this evening. The plates looked fine, however, as a precaution, I fitted the pack out of my spare engine. I tried fitting an extra plate in but, there's no room for it - it locks the clutch up solid because it removes all clearance from the clutch - it looks like Ducati fitted extra plates to cope with the increased shove that it puts out anyway. The problem would appear to be the exceedingly gay clutch springs that Ducati have fitted to appease the whingers who complain about heavy clutch action - they are so lightweight. So, I popped in a proper set of manly 748RS springs. Result - much heavier clutch that is hard work

It shouldn't slip now - if it does then it's a set of Barnett plates next.
Old 29-Jul-2006, 19:52
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Qualifying:

Qualified 14th, got gridded 34th. Ummm...go figure. Protested - got it sorted.

Race 1: Good start, lead Minitwin, about 6th overall, got punted off the track at the hairpin by some tit who outbraked himself and used me as a crash barrier. Quite how he thought he was gonna get round the hairpin on that line is beyond me. I went grasstracking, somehow stayed on and recovered my composure to come 10th overall and 3rd in class.

Damage: wrecked boot left boot, scratched left exhaust, scratched front carbon guard, broken fairing mid-panel, broken upper fairing, broken bellypan, scratched swinging arm..

Gord' worked wonders and got the bike sorted for race 2 - held together with duct tape.

Race 2: The recent late nights (especially last night trying to fix a slipping clutch) were taking their toll and I was popping Pro-Plus to keep me awake.

Got a good start and was in contention until lap 4 when I seemed to lose the plot and went backwards for some reason. I struggled a bit simply with being too tired. 10th overall, 3rd in class.

Mixed bag then - I'm still not up to what I call good race pace with my lap times being in the 1:37-1:38 bracket. The bike was fine - fast and competitive. I wasn't but, then that's my first race in 10 months so, maybe I'm being a bit hard on myself.
Old 30-Jul-2006, 19:21
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Nice one,great little report.
When are you planning to be out next?
Old 30-Jul-2006, 19:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Well done Nige !
1st time out with it and 2 x 3rds in class is a result in my book.
Old 30-Jul-2006, 23:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Great result, twpd! Congrats on your success. It sounds like the bike is what you had hoped for. Mine will turn its first wheel next week.
Old 31-Jul-2006, 00:46
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Sounds like a good start to the 800s racing career, interested to hear you and others also suffered from clutch slip. I have to look at the clutch in my 750SSie before its 2nd Minitwins outing at Darley in two weeks time.
Doubt if I'll be seing any 3rd places especially as the bike still needs to loose some wait and needs the front end sorting.
I think I wiil try and fit in a few early nights before the meeting based on your comments and then hope no twonker rams into me at the hairpin.

So when you racing the 800 again

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 31-Jul-2006, 11:37
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
That sounds pretty good for a first time out on a new bike Shame it got damaged first time out, always the way when you put some effort into having them look nice!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit