Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Jun-2005, 21:40
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Success!!! The first trackday on the R!

Well so far I've had 2 mechanicals and work get in the way of 3 trackdays I should of done, but today after fooling the bike into believing she was going for an early morning spin in a van I managed to make it onto a track!

Picture the scene, Donington National circuit, we (Lily and myself) arrive nice and early, there are a few of my friends doing the day also, and one or two are very quick boys, unfortunately mother nature played it's trump card by having constant rain until around lunch time, just as one of my mates decided to buy some full wets and stick them on, yep the rain stopped and the sun came out.

As the track started to dry Lily decided she wanted to go out, we'd only taken 208/209GP's so we hadn't been out all morning, I decided to skip it as the track was still very wet with the odd dry patch, not even a dry line. So I did my duty and timed her for about 6-7 laps, I was mightly impressed I must say first flying lap and not knowing how the track surface was and obviously getting used to the new 209's she did a 1:45, and by the end of the session down to a 1:32 still wet out there, so 13 seconds in 6 laps!!

We went out after lunch and I was a nervous wreck which caught me off guard, the guys were trying to bait me a bit but I just took it easy and trying to work on Redgate as I always lost time here, my first session was OK but I was dissapointed, the bike ran perfectly although I did feel the front was a tad vague but didn't really make any progress, as soon as I stopped I could barely move my right wrist, I've not had to brake so hard for over 9 months and the force was causing an issue, even as I type this I can feel some discomfort.

The next session I felt a million times better for about 5 laps before the red flag appeared, I'd managed to bugger off and get past Lily and the odd mate, it was like someone had flicked a switch, still trying to get used to the race shift pattern and made one or two mistakes with that i.e. going into Macleans and tipping in in 5th One of the guys was timing Lily and had her down to 1:28 in the dry so I am guessing I must of been the same or maybe marginally faster there as I'd nipped by early on.

Two more sessions remained and what I realised I was doing was holding back and waiting for a super safe spot to pass rather than carrying my speed and being more aggressive so I began to focus more and I knew I was getting faster, by the end of the day we both got down into the 1:26's with the odd 1:25 here and there, not the fastest I've been round there by a long way but happy with the 999 and also the huge boost in confidence that I gained today after recent events. Could just do with a few more before Brands

[Edited on 2-6-2005 by JPM]
Old 02-Jun-2005, 21:45
Dibble

nice .. you can show me round Brands when you get down here ....
Old 02-Jun-2005, 21:46
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
nice .. you can show me round Brands when you get down here ....

Better bring a map or sat nav then LOL!
Old 02-Jun-2005, 21:46
Dibble

nah, Weeksy will post a guide for us ......
Old 02-Jun-2005, 21:53
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
LOL not a quick one... even Lily is faster than me.

is that the tea lady at Mallory ????
Old 02-Jun-2005, 22:06
BSB Star

I'll just follow everyone else
Old 02-Jun-2005, 22:07
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
Quote:

is that the tea lady at Mallory ????

Oi ya cheeky get :P

It was an interesting day, the damp on new tyres wasn't very appealing at first but after lunch it dried up enough for us to have some fun on track.

I am so in love with the 998 as I can finally keep up on the straights without having to strangle the throttle!!

I need to stop abusing the grunt though and remember to actually change gear once in a while and not just chug my way out of corners. Still braking way to early and no matter how hard I tell myself to tip in later its not always happening.

All in all a good day, happy to finally see Fred on track and to be able to keep up with him (not for long though i reckon ) Was pretty pleased with my times as I haven't been to DP for a few years and with the new tyres/new bike it is starting to come together again.

Lily
Old 02-Jun-2005, 23:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Good to hear you had a good time. And that the 999 finally came good. Oh, and Lily, it's now official: You are definitely fast enough to race!
Old 02-Jun-2005, 23:17
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Quote:

Even...cheeky scouse boy
And me still faster at cadders, howz it feel to be slower than the laydeez mate?

Very well done both of you, specially Lil, guess you must be getting to grips with that 998
Old 03-Jun-2005, 00:29
Quickshifter

749R

I consider my self very lucky to have been loaned this bike by Ducati, I guess I hoped you might find my thoughts of use if you are considering such a bike.... then again you might not!

Ok, I don’t own one but I have gotten one to ride, a 749R.

First time out was this evening, 108 miles of mixed fortune as far as traffic goes but some well-chosen roads gave us a little time to get to know each other.

First impression was an uncomfortable seat but that all changes once the legs are up and you are under way, even a wide girth like mine settles nicely. The gearbox is as sweet as they come and foot positions for gears and brakes fall remarkably easy to hand and foot once you settle (I normally struggle to use the back brake). Twenty or so minutes into our honeymoon I found myself relaxing (and forgetting the cost) and the confidence starting to flow, for me it was the feeling and the sound that the bike was never working hard or asking me to, it’s narrow waist and flowing curves allows you to fit in the bike when you want to hustle and this little lady just begs to be hustled (flickability is superb).

When you reach good speed (and that happens remarkably easily for what is the equivalent to a 600 believe me) and start holding brakes into corners the front end feel is awesome (can’t wait to try it on the track) I have never ridden a bike where I swear I could feel the road on the front end like I could from this, it inspires you to tip in simply because you really can feel what is going on.

The clocks belong in the Euro fighter and I dread the replacement cost, however they do add a lot of style and touches like auto illumination when the light fades (tunnels etc) is cool, Finish is good and it never failed to initiate at least four comments and two conversations in my only thirty minute stop.

Moving around the bike is a doddle and the location points needed to find your body position are easy, foot position is nice although expect the usual numb throttle hand due to the forward position. (In fairness I have not ridden any thing that doesn’t create that after a while). Once I felt comfortable moving around the bike I found myself quickly searching for a large and not to busy roundabout, I was about to feel rather ashamed and immature at my behaviour. (Just replaced the nicked suit and the sliders are virginal, had to be done).

The finish and detail is lovely but when you look at all those goddies you do think “please God don’t let me lob it”, thing is, he can’t help you any more than Ducati already have, if this bike could talk she would say “hop aboard and I will hold your hand and be prepared for a sharp intake of breath”.

I loved it, I would like to take her for a second honeymoon…… to Jerez! Jammy Scots.

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by Quickshifter]