Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Mar-2005, 00:49
Big Twin

Dave

Basically...the ride height is paramount in getting the bike to handle as desired.

Mr S has summed it up in his above details...and when I had the 748, I borrowed a ride height tool of a friend to set it to a value recommended by many. Providing you haven't tinkered with the ride height directly or adjusted the chain then it should be the same as when it left me, which is a good setting.

Having your own will mean that when you do make adjustments in the future, you are taking a reading from a known universal datum for setting the ride height on the 748/9** models.

Getting this, and the other static measurments (ie front/rear sag) correct is a must before commencing with other settings available.

As for the ohlins rear, I don't have any data to hand for the standard settings, but from memory, the ohlins site does contain a bit of stuff on there for settings etc. May be worth a look. And, again if memory serves me correct, the shock you have was off an SP(S) and has the 7.6 kg/mm spring fitted (i think although it is easy to check as its written on the side) which should be about OK for you. Getting it, and all of the other settings set up along with the rear shock is the key, all working in unison, but doing their individual tasks...and I do not claim to be an expert in the field at all!!!

One of the best investments you can make is to sort your suspension out...i.e. take it to a pro
Old 04-Mar-2005, 00:51
Big Twin

Oh yeah...and as the interested parties may have guessed, I'm now back off my Jolly (yes I had a great time in Vegas thankyou...thankyou dealer...that'll be a nut flush for me )...I will be looking to finish one of the tools off asap over the next week or so...and will put up piccies as soon as poss.

[Edited on 4-3-2005 by Harv748]
Old 04-Mar-2005, 11:54
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
could do with one of those too please
Old 06-Mar-2005, 17:24

Hi guys. I've been following this thread with interest as I have just had my forks and suspension rebuilt by Maxton and thought I should set up the "ride height" correctly at the same time

The Haynes manual says that the setting for the ride height adjuster is 261mm and states that Ducati recommend it should never be greater than 261mm !!!!! so that's what I have set it to.

The section8superbike site gives a dimension of 604mm from the top of the sprocket carrier nut to the centre of the top exhaust mount bolt.
The measurment on mine is about 560mm. Can this be right? and should I wind out the adjustment to obtain that 604mm reading????
Bike is a 98 748BIP by the way
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Old 06-Mar-2005, 19:00
Big Twin

I think it's different subframes, their bike (short alloy mono subframe) and the bip subframe result in slight differences. Also, it may be that later models or even R's have a slightly longer Ride Height Adjuster (although I doubt it.)

This is why a proper tools desirable, as it's correct regardless of subframe etc.

Also, remember that Section8 are a race team and may want a much more aggressive geometry over that recommended by Ducati. Also, be careful not to wind the ride height adjuster out too far, or it'll be weak as theirs insufficient threads in the rod to hold it together.

If you've set the RHA to 261mm, leave it there for now and see how it feels, then order one of Harv's RH Tools so you can get a proper check on it.
Old 06-Mar-2005, 19:23
Mille

me too for one please
Old 06-Mar-2005, 19:26
Big Twin

Mood: happy
Harv, any idea when you will have some ready for sending out?
Old 06-Mar-2005, 20:47

Thanks Mr_S

I did wonder whether it might be something like that.............The funny thing is, that when the ride height adjuster linkage is set to 261mm, it is almost fully closed so I was wondering whether the Ducati recommendation not to exceed that figure is more a matter of potential liability and "you do it at your own risk" than the fact that you shouldn't exceed the figure.
Old 06-Mar-2005, 22:36
Big Twin

Jenks...Mr S has summed it up really.

To give you an idea, my 748 Bip was set up to 575 mm from the top of the wheel nut to the top mounting bolt.

The problem with this measurement method is that it is not really reproducable from one bike to another...the only way of doing this is with a RH Tool, which fits directly into the frame and gives a consistant datum for reading to be taken. Its also useful as all the figures you will see banded about by various teams/sources etc, will be quoting off the RH tool datum, and not from this bolt or that nut.

UPDATE: Due to the great response in this, I have made a few enquiries within my various contacts, and have a good lead on being able to produce a large batch of these, at approx the same cost as mentioned before, laser cut to the desired dimensions....just waiting for a firm quotation (which I will chase tommorrow) before comitting and placing an order.

I hope to have a definate answer within the next few days, with a view to having these ready for sale in the next 2-3 weeks.

Watch this space...as soon as I know you'll know.
Old 16-Mar-2005, 17:52
Big Twin

OK guys and gals...

I'm about to get this off the ground by confirming an order to be laser cut tomorrow.

The delay has been due to a couple of companies playing silly buggers when it comes to returning calls/providing quotes etc., and manufacturing companies in this country moan about going out of business!

Anyway...found a good reliable company who will be producing the templates in the next 7-10 days.

The nylon bushes are being produced by a direct contact of mine, and should be ready for assembly when the templates arrive.

The good news is that due to the interest in these from you guys, I have managed to get a good deal on producing the template via laser cutting.

This means the final price mentioned at the very beginning of this thread...about £35...still applies, with a quality finish

I appreciate nobody has committed in anyway at this stage...and once I have them here complete, a picture or three will be posted.

Nearly there!!!