Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Aug-2005, 12:29

Chain broken on ST4s

Hi all! Just joined. Need HELP pls. Bought my Duke 2 months ago, full Daytona sh. had just been 12k serviced. Now done 15000.
Went to Germany last week, 2k miles, 1k of the best twisty and smooth roads I've seen.
Anyway, to the point. On the way back, 20 miles from Calais, my drive chain broke, ( across a figure 8 link! ) at 95 ish. It punched a hole ( 10mm ) in the gearbox for good measure. Smashed the hugger and sprocket cover etc.
Is this a common fault?
Can anyone supply a Workshop manual, or Haynes?
Do you think the 'box will be f***ed?
Before everyone posts back--- YES I WAXED the chain, frequently, 4 times this holiday.
What's the recomended life for chain/sprockets? They looked good.
Please HELP.
Old 07-Aug-2005, 12:54
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Sorry to hear about your woes, Never had a Haynes Duc manuel, but you can download the factory manuals from the Ducati website i believe.

I've replaced 3 chains on various Ducs including an ST4s and they have all been changed at around 11 or 12,000 miles. Big twins give them a hard life.

I don't believe its a common fault. I haven't a clue if the gearbox will be damaged but if the crankcases are damaged its gonna be expensive.

Really sorry as its a bum intro to mthis board and Dukes in general. Good luck with it.
Old 07-Aug-2005, 13:16
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
It should be pointed out that chains aren't a part of the service; tho really they should at least check these things (like lights) but don't always. They're considered a consumerable like petrol and tyres.
I've got a ST2 and its gone thru 2 chains+sprockets and its only 15k, but I'm very aggresive with A+B but its only a 2valve Hell I'm on my second set of tyres too and due a third. I should really fit an scottoiler, its been sitting here for a while waiting to be done.

To me tho, having it break across a solid piece of metal sounds like metal fatigue or manufacturing fault. If its your first chain on the bike for 15k then I don't blame it, it was just plain knackered/old.

It's a shame it didn't just fly out the back, coz thats one hell of a bill! Unlucky mate.

[Edited on 7-8-2005 by moozaad]
Old 07-Aug-2005, 13:26
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
correction - they are part of the service but not to replace, just as a check. A cracked link (even if it existed then) would be hard to spot.
Old 07-Aug-2005, 14:03
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

I havent done enough miles to compare but having heard your tale of woe I will pay special attention from now on. Havent got or seen a Haynes manual either but everything I have needed I have found at

http://www.bike-gizmos.com/DucatiSTFAQ.html

Hope it all goes back together
Old 07-Aug-2005, 16:29
Big Twin

When I had an ST4S it ate spockets and chains like nothing I've ever seen. I think it has something do to with the "power pulses" on a big twin and the way I used to ride it. Probably more the latter come to think of it. My 749 S chain and sprockets seem to be lasting a lot longer.
Old 07-Aug-2005, 16:37
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Ouch.
Sorry to hear that mate.
As for a manual, I have the Ducati factory w/s manual .
I have heard of a fewother Dukes doing this including punching holes in thecases but have never known them to wreck the gearbox.
AGE996 had this happen to his bike a while ago - may be worth you dropping him a U2U.
This is the thread he started on the subject.....
Click here...
Hope this helps & you're sorted quickly.
Andy
Old 08-Aug-2005, 08:24
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
dirtdigger
I have an ST4s (2001) and the chain and sprockets were knackered at 12k and replaced - this was checked and spotted at the service and the offending parts shown to me before I agreed to them being replaced. Now I say this as I always check and lubed my chain, and prior to this point,I didn't spot how "worn" they were, so it pays to have'em professionally inspected. As for tyres - I get 4.5k out of a rear and 6k out of the front. But the bikes wonderful.
Old 08-Aug-2005, 09:13
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
New C&S on mine at 12,000, now done 25,000 and the replacements are fine-mind you I have had a Scottoiler on mine since new.
Athelstan, do you find the roads in Switzerland very abrasive? I did a run into the arctic circle-up through Norway, across Lapland and down through Sweden this year. Brand new Pilot Sport was down to the wear bars in 2,000! That was 2 up, but they normally last me 5,500-6,000. On our Italy trip 2 years ago I got 3,000 out of a part worn Pilot Sport, again 2 up.

John
Old 09-Aug-2005, 22:01
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Monty
First thing to point out is that I always ride solo, so that probably contributes to my tyre mileage wear rates. The roads in CH are generally of a good to excellent condition (although out in those off the beaten track passes that the holiday company boys know very little about) have a tendency to be "banded" a lot. Tricky when it's wet and steep. Oh and I use Pilot Sport but now Michelin have ceased production I'll switch to their new replacement "Pilot Power".

I did the North Cape trip in 1979 on my Silk - Derbyshire to Newcastle - ferry to Göteborg and then run up to Umea the ferry across the Baltic to Vasa Finland (Only pace I've ever had a ferry go into reverse when 1/2mile out at sea to come back to get me!) Fact not Fiction. Vasa Oulu Rovamnemi through Suomi country across river Tana border and up to Lakselv. Then around the coast and onto the Post Ferry to Nordkappn for midsummer's night. Roaring bonfires plenty of booze and great company. Back down the Norwegen coast route to Moi A Rani then cross into Sweden to Tärnaby, then central Swedenrun to Östersund Siljan Karlstad and onto the return ferry from Göteborg (where in all the trip I lost my girlfriend in the city centre who was on the sunflower yellow T160) back to Newcastle for a terrible run back down to Derbyshire. Total distance just over 4k mls in 3 magnificent weeks.