Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Sep-2005, 13:29
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Extra...Extra...read all about ride height and other worthwhile ST mods on this here LINK

Applies to ST2's, 3's, 4's and 4S's (except the later 2's and 3's that don't have adjustable forks)
Old 14-Sep-2005, 09:52
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Ratchet
Mines YELLOW - bought my ST4s in June 2001 and it has not missed a beat since. I live in Switzerland and do only tours on the bike (no nipping down to the shops) and it is fun fun fun. Do get the front sprocket changed. Living in the Alps the factory setting was too tall for mountain starts and a bit wrist aching in town traffic slipping the clutch.

Now go out and buy one - before they stop selling them and every Tom Dick and Harry gets to suddenly realise that they have missed the most underrated Sports Tourer on the market for donkey's years. Jurnos they know nothing apart from Bull Sh*t.
Old 16-Sep-2005, 00:46
Montjuic

Mood: bring on the sun !
should the s version come with paniers as standard
or were they optional, etc.
already had to walk away from one st4s, dealer
test ride form expected me to take ALL liability in any
eventuality of an accident, is this the norm now?.
also bike quite tatty when out in open and able to check.
if anyone nows of one for sale up north of the border
second hand.
Old 16-Sep-2005, 00:55
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Re panniers... not exactly standard but therewas an offer for a while giving free panniers with the ST4S but it ended in June 03... most of them will be equipped though I'd have thought.
As for the test ride, it's normally you have to pay the excess,around £500 locally id you bin it.
Don't buy tatty... there's loads of very clean ones out there.
Patience......
Old 16-Sep-2005, 02:07
Montjuic

no this one was 3000 excess and they would expect it paid regardless, of incident.
Old 16-Sep-2005, 08:52
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

my ST4 came with panniers, I bought the top case separately and later. I test rode a new ST3 at 3X (a year ago) I didnt sign anything they just looked at my licence. No idea whether that is the norm or not but I followed one of their riders, as he was far more accomplished than me there was no danger of me riding too fast and as he was in front less likely to come to any grief.
Old 16-Sep-2005, 12:24
Big Twin

I would expect £500 at our local dealer. Not test ridden anything there in the past 2 years though so it might have changed. When I tried the 749S I took it away for most of a day to see if I could live with it. A quick ride down the road is not representative of how your back is going feel sat on a superbike for a few hours. as it happens I was hooked and bought it.

The year before that I went to Leeds to test ride an ST4s demonstrator. I signed for £500 excess there too. ON the way back I stopped at (I think) Motor Cycle City that was just up the road. I test rode the RSV Mille R there, and just before I went out the door I signed for £2500 excess. Needless to say I was nervous as hell, and didn't get the full benfit of the experience.

When the shop in Eye nr Peterborough was Carnell (or might have been Riossi by then) we went to look with some friends. I was outraged that their policy was NO test rides on anything. I asked how they expected people to part with their money for something they didn't even know they would like and the sale guy shrugged and said "people do". Good attitude (his, not mine).
Old 16-Sep-2005, 14:08
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Ratchet,

Would that be the yellow ST4s in Perth Motorcycles you are looking at?
I had a test drive of an ST4 they were selling last spring. They had the £3000 excess so like Henry I rode it verty carefully indeed. In the event I didn't buy the bike. It was a 99 with 14K on it and they were asking £3,200 and offered a miserly £1500 for my SS. In March I bought my 03 ST4s ABS with 1,000 mikes on it for £5K and sold the SS privately for £2k. I'm glad I waited.
The ST4s is all I expected it to be and a fantastic bike. They don't come with panniers as standard in the UK but I got a set off Henry (Hope you had a good time up here Henry, pity we didn't meet up)

Is this the bike here?
Old 20-Sep-2005, 00:40
Montjuic

Done it. Got yellow one as it seemed plenty fast enough or me, plus I wouldn`t want to loose the wife off the back.................Too often.
53 plate less money and lots less miles, panniers, termis,carbon clutch cover, heel plates, front fender well chuffed.
only thing is now 2 1/2 week wait till I can go pick it up. Oh and the 500 mile round trip, 250 on the st should be no prob but 250 motorway miles on the 600 monster ?.
Old 20-Sep-2005, 10:26
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Congrats Ratchet. Sounds like a nice bike - shame about the colour though
I don't fancy that 250 miles on the Monster much either but you'll love the return trip.
Since you're only about 30 miles or so from me you might want to meet up to compare STs sometime.
I won't be doing much riding this week though, got a puncture in the rear tyre with only 300 miles on it