Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 03-Jan-2007, 07:06
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 749er
...which means Moscow comes to London for Winter.

Ooh! Will they bring some pretty young Russian Au Pairs
Old 03-Jan-2007, 08:50
Mille

Mood: 1098s is here.... and now dirty!
Quote:
Are you nuts or what?

its not just CO2 production, it is also the unprecedented deforrestation of the planet which is a significant factor

Tell me exactly what is pretty about pylons stretching out across the landscape, acid rain or leukemia clusters?

Speaking as a Scot tell me what will be left of the Scottish islands when the sea level rises 9m as predicted by some models?

Millions of years ago, there were far fewer people and cows etc were not farmed then as they are now. There is no comparison to be made with planet we have today.

THERE IS NO DOUBT GLOBAL WARMING IS CAUSED BY MAN UNLESS YOUR NAME IS GEORGE W BUSH! ASK ANY SCIENTIST!

There is as much energy used in the production of a car as it uses in its lifetime, so by that metric wind farms are spectacularly successful. Do you have any idea how much more CO2 is produced in the building of a nuclear power station? Until nuclear fusion comes along wind and wave are the best we have. Incidentally, when the UK government did a study in the early 80s or so as to what was the cheapest/most environemtally friendly way of producing energy, nuclear came out on top. Then once the go ahead for Sizewell B, THORP (Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant) etc had all gone through someone noticed wave power was the best way forward and there was an error in the calcs. The cynics among us might suggest that you cant build nuclear weapons with wave power but you can with nuclear power stations and the lunacy of THORP.

As for taxation,if you pollute you should pay to clean it up. Its not my world or yours. Its everyones, and those who follow us should find it in a decent condition.

Sorry, rant over, but really, the world needs to wake up to how close to disaster it is. As mentioned above, the UKs climate as it is just now is not assured of remaining as it is and is entirely dependant upon the salinity of the Atlantic seawater. Melting ice means no conveyor for the warm air of the tropics which means Moscow comes to London for Winter.
Hey its healthy to rant!! My problem and I do have children is that even with a major effort on our part (Great Britain) it is just a drop in the ocean... I read that even if all vehicles were banned from UK roads now, within one year China would not only have made up the difference but added 50%!
I tend to think history shows that the earth sorts itself out... i.e overpopulation = disease, global warming = destruction of current civilisation and introduction of new one a few thousand years later. Same with war etc etc..... Im not being negative just taking the veiw that no one with any power is going to do anything about it until its too late and until then I thought I would enjoy the warmer weather and build a deep underground bunker for my children in my spare time....... but now after reading the replies which indicate that this global warming isnt going to provide me and my 1098s with 320 days of perfect riding weather I may become a polititian and do something about it.... I mean you even get to sh*g a cheeky girl as a perk!!
Old 03-Jan-2007, 09:00
Ducati in my Blood

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones
I tend to think history shows that the earth sorts itself out... i.e overpopulation = disease, global warming = destruction of current civilisation and introduction of new one a few thousand years later. Same with war etc etc..... !!

My Great Grandmother told me it was God's way of keeping man in check
I still prefer the look of the future according to Futurama
Old 03-Jan-2007, 09:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888heaven
[As for taxation,if you pollute you should pay to clean it up]
just like I pay road tax and its all used on the roads get real.

Your road tax pays for the UKs road building program and more. But it does not cover the cost of repairing the damage done to the environment through global warming whether that be preventative measures or remedial.

eg the cost of building the Thames barrier in todays money £1.4billion

many scientists believe planting trees will not work effectively in refixing carbon, so other methods are being considered, eg storing it in disused oil reservoirs in the North Sea etc

Or to look at another way. The human cost? 300 people died in flooding in Canvey Island in 1953

As Psychlist says, melting ice caps = a greater surface area of water. Add increased ambient temperatures and effectively youhave more water in the atmosphere . effectively a speeding up of the water cycle and more rain through global warming.

Then we have all the damage done by the other pollutants in fuel. Historically, lead, sulphur etc Someone has to pay for it....
Old 03-Jan-2007, 09:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
[quote=Stones]I read that even if all vehicles were banned from UK roads now, within one year China would not only have made up the difference but added 50%!
quote]

There are some truely staggering forecasts and statistics out there at the moment. eg China builds one coal fired power station per week. Also many of its open coal fields are left to burn and the pollution produced is about the same as that produced by all the vehicles in the USA.
Old 03-Jan-2007, 09:15
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Glad to be here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio600
Global warming is only good for you if you don't have children, grand-children and generally don't care about things which don't affect yourself right now.

For people who haven't seen Gore's documentary, I strongly recommend them to watch it (An Inconvenient Truth).
You are so right. Petrol is going to run out in about 30 years and is going to get even more expensive, which will mean less vehicles on the road. Well I'm 43 so don't mind going electric by the time I'm in my 70's, and I can afford it. I love the warm weather. The warmer the better. Someone pointed out to me a while back that if we carry on like this then the children will inherit the planet in a poor state. Well I don't like kids. They have a poor work ethic and expect everything handed to them on a plate, so why should I care about them.
You can call me self centred and selfish. I'm sure one or too might. But this planet has been heading down this route for a long time. Everyone has known it and done very little about it. I really do believe that this problem has gone past the point of no return. I don't think that any amount of legislation, national or global will fix this. I'm going to live for now. Let's face it. It's what we've all been doing for years which is why we're in this mess. This planet is doomed, so get on your bikes and ride while you can.
Old 03-Jan-2007, 10:08
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilps
You are so right. Petrol is going to run out in about 30 years and is going to get even more expensive, which will mean less vehicles on the road. Well I'm 43 so don't mind going electric by the time I'm in my 70's, and I can afford it. I love the warm weather. The warmer the better. Someone pointed out to me a while back that if we carry on like this then the children will inherit the planet in a poor state. Well I don't like kids. They have a poor work ethic and expect everything handed to them on a plate, so why should I care about them.
You can call me self centred and selfish. I'm sure one or too might. But this planet has been heading down this route for a long time. Everyone has known it and done very little about it. I really do believe that this problem has gone past the point of no return. I don't think that any amount of legislation, national or global will fix this. I'm going to live for now. Let's face it. It's what we've all been doing for years which is why we're in this mess. This planet is doomed, so get on your bikes and ride while you can.

I'm 38, and there was a time when people our age used to fear young whippersnappers coming up behind them on the career path. Must admit having seen what the schools turn out these days, I dont.

Think you may have a point on it being to late though, especialy if China, and the USA dont change
Old 03-Jan-2007, 10:16
Mille

Mood: what a day, a year, a life it's been
"[quote=749er]Are you nuts or what?

As for taxation,if you pollute you should pay to clean it up. Its not my world or yours. Its everyones, and those who follow us should find it in a decent condition."

Whilst this is a sound theory, it does not work on a global scale.

USA, India and China are terrible polluters but they are not going to be paying pollution tax to Europe.

There is a European anti-pollution (recycling) scheme called WEE (http://www.bsi-global.com/Manufactur...E/Index.xalter) which says that by law anyone making electrical goods must offer a method of retrieving and re-cycling these goods when their life has expired. At no charge.

All well and good, but it has some fundamental flaws: 1) It only applies to Europe 2) Customers will not pay the extra cost this new service will entail 3) The law says European manufacturers must do it, so cheap Asian manufacturers win again.

Until there is some way of ensuring polluters WORLD-WIDE are held to account I don't see any way to counter global warming.

We are not all innocent here in Europe, either. If every country was to use resources at the same rate as Portugal, we would need three planets to support us! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/...20061221.shtml)
Old 03-Jan-2007, 10:17
Ducati in my Blood

Talking

Quote:
Think you may have a point on it being to late though, especialy if China, and the USA dont change

I blame the Australians myself, coming over here and drinking all our lager then pi55ing on our grass! No wonder there's not enough greenery to get rid of the CO2
Old 03-Jan-2007, 10:19
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlist
I blame the Australians myself, coming over here and drinking all our lager then pi55ing on our grass! No wonder there's not enough greenery to get rid of the CO2

What grass?

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit