Ducati Sporting Club UK
New User Introductions
A chance for new users to introduce themselves, tell us of their bikes, rides and aspirations and buy a drink at the virtual bar!

Old 05-May-2009, 11:09
Bikes: 07 1100S MTS, 03 999R

Mood: Great, Obama is our President
Ducatista making new international friends

Howdy all,

Found this site through a link posted by our resident mechanical authority, Shazaam! I live in Northern California, near Sacramento.

I'm a recently retired International Sales Mgr of a company that makes buffing pads for auto (motorcycles), marine and industrial applications. In fact I still make a few phone calls now and then and just today I talked a very nice English prospect regarding distribution of our products.

I've been riding motorcycles most of my life and actually rode one as part of my job being a police officer in the States many years ago. I was a motor officer for five years, riding the Harley Davidson (what a pig, but macho) and then the KZ 1000 Police Kawasaki. That motor has been around and unchanged since the 70s and just recently updated. Pretty amazing actually. I also worked as a training officer and did a two year stint as an undercover narcotics officer.

Currently I own two Ducatis; an 07 1100S MTS and a 03 999R. Previously I have had a 999S, 916 (modded to the max) and a 900SS. This was during the last six years. During that period I also had an 05 600RR Honda. This bike was for miles and the track, a very good bike but the 14.5 RPM made me munch it and myself back in Nov of 05. My injuries were pretty bad; airlifted, ICU multiple broken bones: back, pelvis, shoulder, knee, Multiple torn muscles/ligaments, internal bleeding and multiple surgeries following. Oh well, stuff happens, right? I've always said, it never would have happened if I were on one of my Ducatis. Took three years of PT to finally get me back on the bike. I changed my ways a little by picking up the Multistrada (man, this bike is versatile) and the best bike I have ever owned, the 999R.

Aside from the above, I'm also the President of the regional Ducati Club. Thats been a lot of fun and our mission is the usual stuff, but I like organizing private track days too. That is about 30 riders coming and going as they wish. Very popular venue.

Glad I logged on because this will give me an opportunity to learn some new things and make new friends. Thanks everyone for having me on board.

Here are some pics of the Multistrada, 999S, Bulldog (Mangia) and my favorite the 999R with the new magnesium valve cover I installed a couple days ago. This part updates the 03 bike to an 05 because that is when Ducati offered it as standard. Amazing how much lighter than the stock valve cover it is, plus I've always liked the piece and have been looking for a couple years for a set. I bought the pair from BCM in New Hampshire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3031.JPG (84.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2694.JPG (95.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2275.JPG (44.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0315.JPG (86.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0431.JPG (90.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-May-2009, 11:21
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Welcome John, hope to see you on here in the future

WeeJohnyB
Old 05-May-2009, 12:08
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
You sure thats your dog, Dallas has one just like it

Welcome to the board John, nice little intro there, mention of a police Z1000 and Calfornia just rings bells due to the TV program Chips, yes you know the one.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 05-May-2009, 17:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Hiya,

Uk bikers of a certain age might have too many images of biking in the USA based on the "ChiPS" series, i.e. it Never ever rains!!

More recently, American Chopper is shown overhere.

Occasionally get to see AMA superbike on Motors TV and regularly get to see Ben Spies show everyone which way is up in world superbike, even though he forgets which way is up himself from time to time!!

Ray.
Old 05-May-2009, 18:13
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
I'm also the President of the regional Ducati Club.

Welcome to the board....hmmmm....

DSC twinned with Lincoln CA?

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 05-May-2009, 22:39
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hello John welcome to the DSC message board.
A Multi and 999 is a fine combo to have in the garage.Had the same myself up untill recently.My Multi was sold to buy a van ,but now a Hypermotard sits in its place. Still got the 999S.
Old 05-May-2009, 23:45
Bikes: 07 1100S MTS, 03 999R

Mood: Great, Obama is our President
Thanks everyone. CHiPs came out at the same time I was attending the California Highway Patrol Motorcycle Academy. I recall seeing the first episode after class. Yeah, it was cheesy, really cheesy but thats what happens when you mix Hollywood with reality. I never watched the show that much, I was too busy working my new assignment, night motors. Our department serviced a city of 100,000 population, but we had a high ratio of police motorcycles per capita, 11 motors and thats a lot. The city was located smack dab in the middle of "silicon valley" so the industrial tax base was very healthy and the department was never short of money. We had the best equipment and were the highest paid or at least in the top 10 nationwide. Today, officers retire from the force at 50 years old and make well over $100,000 a year in retirement benefits. In fact a buddy of mine retired as a Lt. and because $130,000 wasn't enough to support his college aged kids, he went to work for another Department (University)as a lateral Lt. making $120,000 a year. I left the department for medical reasons over 23 years ago, at a time when the police weren't paid that well and their retirement packages no where close to what it is now. Many nowadays feel the pendulum has swung too far in favor of the Police Union compensation packages, I for one have to agree. Especially when you compare it to private industry which for the most part do not have pension programs, your on your own when it comes to that.

Enough of that, my motives here have to do with the motorcycle lifestyle and in particular the Ducati brand. Looking forward to sharing information there. In fact, I'm stepping out right now to go look at some open clutch covers for my 999R. I just installed a Palimoto pressure plate after taking off the stock cover. I know one thing is true worldwide, it never ends when it comes to upgrading the Ducati.