Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Jul-2005, 17:13
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Ibbott
Dibble - I have the anal torch at the ready!

I'm now scared

You're not the only scared Dibble!

Oh dear!
Old 11-Jul-2005, 18:55
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Jas - could be worse you could be me trying to hang off and keep everything in line!!

Think I get lots of lean angle (felt like it anyway on some of those roundabouts yesterday and no chicken strips on the rear), just feel so alien and I seem to lean less when I hang off...or is this the point of doing it??
Old 11-Jul-2005, 19:00
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by bradders
Jas - could be worse you could be me trying to hang off and keep everything in line!!

Think I get lots of lean angle (felt like it anyway on some of those roundabouts yesterday and no chicken strips on the rear), just feel so alien and I seem to lean less when I hang off...or is this the point of doing it??

BINGO !
Old 11-Jul-2005, 19:50
Big Twin

Paul, that's exactly the point, the less you're leaning for a given speed, the faster you can go around a bend.
Old 11-Jul-2005, 20:02
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
...but then others take the **** coz you've got chicken strips....

I get how it works, just dont think I could do it effectively - unteachable!!
Old 11-Jul-2005, 20:05
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I've not read everyones replies, but here's my 2p worth...

Do what feels comfortable!

Personally I look at photo's of me racing and I think I look ever so awkward and un-stylish on the bike, but it feels great when I'm on it and that's good enough for me.

Old 11-Jul-2005, 20:06
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by domskidue
Personally I look at photo's of me racing and I think I look ever so awkward and un-stylish on the bike,

yep, thats about right!
Old 11-Jul-2005, 20:14
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Shurrup :P

It's un-sylish enough to finish 43 seconds in front of you at Snett

Miaow!!

p.s. That donut was yummy
Old 11-Jul-2005, 20:58
Quickshifter

Body position

Quote:
Originally posted by phil_h
If you get your inside elbow lower everything else will follow much more naturally.

I make this man right, but the bottom part is as important. We find most rider sit to far forward on the bike and restrict their movement (or complicate it) it makes a big difference when you sit back.
Location points are the key to this.
Old 11-Jul-2005, 21:53
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
body

My 2p

Look at this shot of the best in the country.

The first Two bikes show how thin a duke is compared to an inline four and that Leon has a slightly extended head style. They all lead with their heads and inside shoulder no big hanging off just half an ass and in with the head and shoulder. The line they follow is a visual line that the bike just follows not a line they try to steer the bike on, if you know what I mean. The shoulders are square to the bike and the inside shoulder and head follow the sight line. Both bikes are at full lean and the riders are looking
wear their going to be at all times, never were they are.

Knees are used as reference to lean angle. Look at the Rizza and his position, same amount of ass off with the knee fully extended out and is already using it to judge his lean angel and looking at his line through the corner and wear he is going to be.

I know I always go on about Windsurfing but this leading with the head looking at were you will be
is a lot harder to get right than we give it credit for. It is so easy to get distracted and succumb to out side influences. On a windsurf board the gibing manoeuvre i.e. 180o turn down wind is just like turning a bike. All of the above apply exactly. If any of the above are left out, the result is a fall, not get round slow or a bit messy but failure every time. To get this manoeuvre cracked on a consistent basis you must.
Learn to look through the turn, commit totally to the inside and stay committed till the end.
Outside influences that can upset this manoeuvre mite be, a choppy section of sea ahead, a gust on the surface coming in. Right there see you balls up already you notice the things that could upset the manoeuvre but now defiantly will because you are looking at them. You have to bend your knees commit to the inside and just look for the exit. Round you go, riding the chop sheeting out the sail to allow for the gust that arrives. Hay presto you did it. Well after a few years you do.

Things that can upset you on a bike.

Armco
Gravel
Other Riders
Terror
Bowel movement
Money
Just all the consequences of a balls up catching your eye and grab your attention.

O and you only get as good as them when you have mastered all of these and paid the price
of being distracted.

Luckily I have no aspirations to ride to this level.