Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Jun-2005, 11:42
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
I think this is a gagging idea Ironic. I cant afford to race, main thing I cant afford is the Bike, unless I sell the road going 996, & that aint gona happen. But this idea is great. Racer for a day, that would put a smile on my face.
Hope this idea go's somewhere.

Craig
Old 14-Jun-2005, 13:52
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
what about the safety issue of having riders turn up for a " ride a race bike for a day " mixed in with others that have been racing for 6 or 7 meetings......its not like starting a race series and growing as a rider with each race meeting....to jump in for one race meeting would be imho potentially dangerous.!......its not a track day out there and the two are a WORLDS apart.
You only have to ask the DD racers now the difference between track and race days....its a massive and very steep learning curve. I can highlight many instances over the 2 race meets already where inexperince has caused " offs " can you imagine if at every meeting we had potential 1 off novice's turning up...........................

The idea of two racers sharing a bike for the season for the DD and the SoT is a valid and prooven idea..ie chris wood.

Not being a killjoy but it is a serious issue out there in a race.

Phil

[Edited on 14-6-2005 by fil2]
Old 14-Jun-2005, 14:12
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
sorry guys, couldt think of a worse way to use DSC funds. I for one would not vote for any of the DSC cash being spent in this way. If there is spare cash, and we/MT cant think of a 'reasonable' way to use it, then reduce my membership cost please

If you want to get racing on the cheap, and only do a few rounds, get together as Jools suggests above and do it that way, share the costs and take it in turns to ride.

I think Phil has a validish point regarding new peolpe each round, but then most are new this year so shouldnt be that much of an issue unless 1/2 the grid do this.
Old 14-Jun-2005, 14:18
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
I can highlight many instances over the 2 race meets already where inexperince has caused " offs " can you imagine if at every meeting we had potential 1 off novice's turning up...........................

to be fair you dont have to be a novice to cause an "off". there are people in every series up to motogp level who tend to have more incidents than others and im sure come the end of the year ours will be no different. to have a few novices in each race shouldn't cause a problem some would say it makes more sense than how we started DD. 20 odd novices at woodland!
Old 14-Jun-2005, 14:23
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Felix,

Just seen this.
My finger is staying where it is:P

Like Monty & Chris say

Ducati did this with the monster series a while ago, pay up and ride was the deal and the bikes got sold off via dealers.

I agree that the Club shouldn't do it, there all sorts of issues if it goes all Pete Tong?

I thought Lougi had put a hire bike together? or has Domski bagged that for the season?

There is already a big difference speedwise in this series, more so than on any trackday group IMHO.

Ray
Old 14-Jun-2005, 14:26
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
even motogp riders get lapped.
Old 14-Jun-2005, 14:47
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
what about the safety issue of having riders turn up for a " ride a race bike for a day " mixed in with others that have been racing for 6 or 7 meetings......its not like starting a race series and growing as a rider with each race meeting....to jump in for one race meeting would be imho potentially dangerous

I can't see this being a real safety issue as it happens in every other race class I know of with clubs like New Era and North Glos, There is nothing to stop a first time novice entering SoT, F600 or Powerbike on the last day of the season.
In the not to distant future I hope to have a 2nd bike ready for the grid and will look at getting another DSC member or two out there on it.
Old 14-Jun-2005, 15:10
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
The point i was making is that a novice joins then gains experience as the meetings progress throughout the year..........in the case of " rent a race bike " the novice would do one race !! with no experience of the environment they are jumping into. Of course we are all novices when we start out but we continue to gain experience as we do more races and not stop after 1 race.! which would be the case here...i can just forsee issues over the idea..its a great idea in theory but in practise would create many many problems.

Im not against the idea of sharing a bike at all, but the idea of rent a race bike for a day worries me...

Phil

Old 14-Jun-2005, 15:21
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:

Im not against the idea of sharing a bike at all, but the idea of rent a race bike for a day worries me...

Phil

Litigation, litigation & litigation.....

like i said before -great idea to have people 'having a go', BUT please think of the potential for who may get 'kicked' if the bike is found to have any mech probs etc causing a crash & the like - this is why the club cannot do it - and anyone thinking of trying it MUST sign paperwork to waive any liabilitys etc - or their family might do this after an 'event'

C