Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 05-Nov-2015, 21:27
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Commuting bike options

So having sold my bike a couple of years back, but getting fed up of sitting in traffic on the M25, I'm thinking of getting a cheap commuter bike.
Needs to be cheap, reliable, comfortable, undesirable enough to be left outside at home...
Any suggestions as to what I should consider - max budget probably around £2500 - £3000
Thanks
Martin
Old 06-Nov-2015, 17:41
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I commute on the Hypermotard... not exactly sensible but...

You want to be looking at "sit-up" bikes as a sportsbike will just kill your back/neck/wrists when going through traffic. It also makes getting through the cars much easier when filter as you have more leverage.

You really don't need a massive engine either as most of the time you'll just want to keep up with traffic. It'll also be cheaper if you have something with a smaller engine; cheaper to buy, insure and run.

Go for something that has a screen to offer wind/rain protection as well. Handguards are also a good idea, but if not fit brush guards as they'll deflect mirrors nicely! Heated grips are awesome if you're riding through winter too.

You should be able to pickup a nice cheap Honda something around that price that fits the bill?

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 06-Nov-2015, 21:37
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Funnily enough I was going to suggest a trail bike of some sort as they are much more resilient to winter than a lot of vehicles.

However, reality is that ANY bike no matter how small or inexpensive will be the target of some scum who think they are more right to your property than you do & even worse, will stop at nothing to get it.

Good luck buddy.
Old 07-Nov-2015, 21:32
Bikes: Ducati 750s IE Dark.

Mood: crabbit
250-500 scooter, yes, you may laugh, but it ticks all the boxes as a commuter, enough speed, weather protection, storage, undesirability.
Old 08-Nov-2015, 14:36
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logi
250-500 scooter, yes, you may laugh, but it ticks all the boxes as a commuter, enough speed, weather protection, storage, undesirability.

I'm not laughing - I had similar thoughts myself - one of the big Suzuki scooters... What about safety - do they feel as safe as a proper bike on the motorway?
Old 08-Nov-2015, 22:56
Bikes: Ducati 750s IE Dark.

Mood: crabbit
Takes a bit of getting used to, 250 min if motorway speed needed, 400 would be better, just remember not to pull the "clutch" in when stopping..... Trust me

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit