Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Sep-2006, 10:15
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Does anyone have an SL seat pad to lend?

Preety please - just the front seat pad.

I'm unsure about retaining the 916 style seat unit on my 900ss - I like the different look and love being able to get into the storage area so easily as the tiny pillion pad comes off in a second.

But - the pad I have is very thin - comfy but makes for achy knees on longer rides and I'd like to know if the pad I have is actually based on an SL pad or not.

Obviously I pay the postage and insurance both both ways.

Even better if someone has one to sell.

Unlike the one that had been newly re-covered on Ebay but the seller pulled the auction before the end - without any reason or indication it was for sale elsewhere

End of rant - Cheers - Frank
Old 20-Sep-2006, 11:17
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Frank, I've got my one that you are welcome to borrow (especially as it isn't on the bike).

Rather than messing around with postage and insurance though, why don't I email you some pictures - you should be able to tell from those whether it is similar or not.

btw, I don't find the SL seat that comfortable - the SS seat is much more squidgy (and not so slippery).
Old 20-Sep-2006, 11:34
WSB Hero

CHi - you are a top-notch bloke and I'd have your babies any day - LOL (Bikes anyways).

Did you get to have a sit on my 944 at the Cornerspeed meet?

I'm just wondering if a taller seat (maybe in between the height I have now......piccy attached and a std 900ss seat of which I have two and a Corbin seat as well - damnit !!!)

I only buy a pair of FCR's if I wasnt seat hunting

Cheers - Frank

flsntl@ntlworld.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0308 (Small).JPG (73.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 20-Sep-2006, 11:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
frank that seat sits low
Doesn't the SL seat unit sit on brackets to lift it above the subframe and then the pad fixed on top of that.

That seat unit of yours looks like its sat on the subframe.

On my 600SS DD bike I have a home made 35mm to 40mm high alloy subframe sat under the 916 style seat from Ricambi and sat on top of the SS's steel subframe then have a 25mm foam seat pad stuck on the seat unit and would still like to go a tad higher

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 20-Sep-2006, 19:02
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Frank,
hopefully the attached piccie shows what you need.

Comparing the two, I don't think yours is based on an SL pad unless it has been heavily cut down.

The brackets under the seat unit are what holds it up and then the pad fits flush with the seat unit.

cheers,
Chi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat.JPG (66.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by chicken : 20-Sep-2006 at 19:05. Reason: finally managed to resize the picture to fit!
Old 21-Sep-2006, 22:11
WSB Hero

Excellent and Thank you Chi - I appreciate your efforts.

I really do think my pad is based on a SL type - the four mounting points look VERY similar to the ones on my 916 style unit.

Had a nice garage session today and refitted the old seat and panels, the new unit simply sits on the rear frame rails and relies on the lower mounting point and the riders weight to hold things together!

I fitted some pipe insulation to try and help matters and it seemed ok but fitting the OEM seat unit shows just how well Ducati parts are designed and made.

Amazing difference - had a measure as well, new unit = 30" seat height.

Original unit = 31.5" and as any lady will tell you an inch and a half can make a world of difference.

I've took a photo that tried to compare them but I dont think it works too well.

Thanks again - Frank