Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Oct-2003, 08:55
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
749R official price........

Spoke to the local dealer last night , official price for 749R is to be £13595 on the road , available in red only , no Termi's included.............

At that price I suggested that one would be as well to stump up another £400 and get a 999S , he replied that he has heard the 999S is going up , he does not know by how much yet

Two people have already ordered 749R's expected delivery is Feb / March 2004

[Edited on 1-10-2003 by yellowisfriedegg]
Old 01-Oct-2003, 09:58

749r

We had this conversation in work as a friend and I are looking at buying. Yes you could buy a 999 for not a lot more money but unfortunately I have sold bikes for 4 years and working in a bike shop havent had the need for one. To this end I have no no claims bonus so I would probably be unable to insure a 999 for what I would class reasonable money. And when I say reasonable I just sold my 748s that was going to cost me £700 + fully comp had I have kept it.
Old 01-Oct-2003, 18:20
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
If the 999S goes up in price they'll sell a whole bunch more Aprillia Factories.

I wonder when Ducati will realise that despite the fact that there are a bunch of us prepared to pay a considerable premium to ride something with more individuality, style and soul than a UJM (even when an £8,500 Gixer Thou will whup most Dukes asses - if we're honest) there are limits.

Seriously, if you want a very quick Italian V-Twin with all the trick Ohlins and radial bits you have to be absolutely besotted with Dukes to overlook the Aprilia, especially the new one. I know Aprilias seem to be very much built down to a price and are plagued by cosmetic things like stickers falling off, but for several grand less, I could overlook that.

I know that relatively small European manufacturers will never enjoy the economies of scale that Japanese companies have and will always be more expensive in terms of labout input etc, but if Aprillia can do it there's surely not much justification for Ducati prices to be comparitively through the roof?

As somebody that has Ducati written through me like a stick of rock and aspires to the ownership of a more exotic Duke as a stable mate for than the one I already own, it's a complete pain to see Ducati moving the target ever further away. I thought competition was supposed to make things more accessible?

Rant over

[Edited on 1-10-2003 by Jools]
Old 01-Oct-2003, 18:38
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yep silly money,but I bet it wont stop folks buying them.
Disapointing about the 999S price going up too.
Old 01-Oct-2003, 20:01

I think the 749R looks quite good value when you look at the kit you get and remember what some of us paid for 748 SP's a few years ago. On the other hand if its pure speed then I'm not sure anything beats the VFM of a GSXR thou. But its not how fast you go but how you go fast....Mind you Lanzi doesn't seem to be doing badly though on the 999s versus GSXR's. Problem with the prilla is it looks, well, a bit Japanese.
Old 01-Oct-2003, 20:49
Mille

Mood: not a happy bunny
loads of money!!

thats a bit steep for a 749R i don't think i will be trading my 749bip in for one,when ducati announced that they were bringing out the R the price banded around was £11,000 ish, obviously a touch on the low side.
Old 01-Oct-2003, 22:28
Montjuic

Mood: picture crazy
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
If the 999S goes up in price they'll sell a whole bunch more Aprillia Factories.

I wonder when Ducati will realise that despite the fact that there are a bunch of us prepared to pay a considerable premium to ride something with more individuality, style and soul than a UJM (even when an £8,500 Gixer Thou will whup most Dukes asses - if we're honest) there are limits.

Seriously, if you want a very quick Italian V-Twin with all the trick Ohlins and radial bits you have to be absolutely besotted with Dukes to overlook the Aprilia, especially the new one. I know Aprilias seem to be very much built down to a price and are plagued by cosmetic things like stickers falling off, but for several grand less, I could overlook that.

I know that relatively small European manufacturers will never enjoy the economies of scale that Japanese companies have and will always be more expensive in terms of labout input etc, but if Aprillia can do it there's surely not much justification for Ducati prices to be comparitively through the roof?

As somebody that has Ducati written through me like a stick of rock and aspires to the ownership of a more exotic Duke as a stable mate for than the one I already own, it's a complete pain to see Ducati moving the target ever further away. I thought competition was supposed to make things more accessible?

Rant over

[Edited on 1-10-2003 by Jools]

i'm going to disagree with ya...but not in the sense that most people will think.

mabbe it's diff. over there, but in the U.S. ducati ownership experience overall SUCKS. mainly due to the fact that theres hardly any support from ducati NA or ducati dealers if you have aproblem with it. that + the long wait for parts, and the difficulty in getting parts is the killer.

for a premium brand, the consumers should be treated likewise..hell, i can't even use my ducati towing service cause they haven't sent me the right credentials (and it's been over 8 months!)

just too many let downs....
Old 02-Oct-2003, 22:36
Bevel Head

Mood: HELL YES !!
yeah - agree with all of the above but what about the benelli and the MV there all in the same money ballpark and look fantastic