Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-May-2004, 12:44

Sprockets and cans

17,500 miles on my St4s and its' time to 'do' the chain and sprockets, what works best, smaller front sprocket or larger rear? Anyone got a preferred make, I've been 'offered' Renthal sprockets

Right,now to cans,I think its time the St made a bit more fruity noise, again anyone recommend a particular can (besides the regular Termigs?)

Thanks

Pete
Old 14-May-2004, 13:01
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
ST4s definately responds well to lower gearing.

Common mod is replace front 15 tooth with 14 tooth sprocket, far more reponsive with no change in top speed or even fuel consumption. Its an absolute MUST.

Renthal sprockets a re fine or one of the 748 front sprockets is a 14 tooth and fits.

Technically it would be kinder to the chain to change the rear sprocket as the 14 tooth theoretically will wear the chain a little quicker than a 15 tooth but most people just change the front.

Pipes (mine are Ducati performance) do make a definate improvement in power and torque, i have before any after dyno runs.

I'm selling my st4s at present and as soon as it goes the bits i'm taking off are up for sale/sold.

Virtually everything is spoken for but if the pipes don't go for any reason your welcome to them, but need to flog the bike first.
Old 14-May-2004, 13:08
Ducati Corse

If either of you have a set of standard cans for sale (or even just a right hand one would do) then let me know!!
Old 14-May-2004, 13:09
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The 14T front makes real good sense. The 748's run a 14 but are 520 chain. Your ST is running 525.
Renthal is excellent gear. Run a Tsubaki chain and you'll have, IMO, the best setup.
The cans that DP sell are made for Ducati by either Remus or Sil Motor. Termis are associated with the SBK's. The Sil's are very good quality and fit perfectly. There are loads of options out there, some good some not so. You pays ya money as they say. I'd go for Sils, but then it;s not my hard earned £'s..........
Old 14-May-2004, 13:13
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Sorry Rockhopper, my standard cans have gone back on for MOT and sale of bike.
Old 14-May-2004, 13:24
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
I have my 4S on ST4 gearing - 15 / 43 on Renthal sprockets.
This gives a 100mph cruise at 6000 rpm, top end still well over 140mph and to say it's fun out of the bends is an understatement
Combining this with the oil rig strength Tsubaki chain that Nelly supplies and a Scottoiler and I am getting over 2000 miles between chain adjustments.
Personally, I'd go 15/43 - less effect on your chain from the smaller radius of the front sprocket, slightly more clearance between the top run of the chain over the top chain runner on the swingarm and that big rear sprocket looks so much better!
Andy
Old 14-May-2004, 15:06
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I brought the DP 'race exhaust kit' that comes with sprockets & airfilter/box as well.
Slapped the 14T on the front and the bike is certainly more alive !

6k in top is still around 108mph, and on a recent trip I could outrun a VFR800 in 5th, changing up into top at just over 140 (I should add this was 2up with luggage, and he was solo).
BDG, changing the sprocket does affect the top speed, but not significantly,
and imo it makes the difference where it counts (i.e. at speeds we ride more often).

As for the cans, well, they seem pretty well made to me, and are as Nelly says apparently made by Remus (who incidentally make the standard pipes). They are LOUD though. Louder than my 996 with Termis.
Lets just say wearing earplugs is a must

I have a friend who has some silmotors with removable road legal baffles on his 4s, and he is apparently not happy with them. I have yet to speak to him to find out exactly why though.

Go on Pete, you know it makes sense
Old 17-May-2004, 14:29

Thanks for the feedback one and all.

Looks like I'll be taking up Nelly's suggestion 14t front and Tsubaki
chain.

As for cans, well still choosing.....
I hope to be going to Beaulieu 'Motorcycle World' event at end of June,
chequebook in hand, he he

Pete
Old 17-May-2004, 15:36
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Nice bike show that, although I'm not sure you'll get too many parts bargains.
Last year my 996 was on our bike club's stand

Can't make it this year as I'll be in France on the bike...
Old 27-May-2004, 14:12
Mille

I'll put in a plug for Aussie components. I have Staintune pipes on my ST2 and they are pretty good - nice note and good quality. They do both carbon and stainless, but my preference is the stainless (last much longer too apparently, as carbon will break down over time due to heat cycles). I had a few initial problems with fit, but this was because they basically used my bike for the development back in 97, on the 2nd replacement (crash damage) they are fine now. If you do a trawl of the web, you will find an importer in the UK.