Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 27-Nov-2003, 17:54

Insurance problem

Hi folks, well I didn't get round to passing my Direct Access this summer (though did my CBT) and am now planning on doing it in the spring. However I'm hoping to buy a 600 from a mate in the next few weeks (which obviously I won't be able to ride until I do get a licence) and I've hit a problem with the insurance. Tried Carol Nash but they said only Norwich Union will insure me without a full licence and then only for 30 days, which is no good. I'm getting on a bit, so even comprehensive insurance won't be a lot, if I can get it, so I'd be happy to insure it either comp, TPFT or just for fire and theft (for now) even though I won't be riding it for a while. Any ideas? Carol Nash suggested putting it on the house insurance; I've not tried but it sounds expensive. Any other solutions?
Old 27-Nov-2003, 22:21
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
putting it on your house insurance could work out cheaper than normal bike insurance it's worth giving it a try you may be surprised but i would have thought there would be stipulations ie: garaged alarmed etc.
you will probably need a S.O.R.N from the DVLC as well
Old 27-Nov-2003, 22:57
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
You used to be able to get a laid away policy which covered you for fire theft & accidental damage even if the bike was broken down into component parts for restoration / storage purposes - check out one of the classic bike mags as I seem to remember seeing these policies advertised there.
Andy
Old 28-Nov-2003, 17:03

Well - tried the buildings and contents insurer and they won't cover anything with an engine irrespective of whether it is not used or even it is illegal to use it. In fact they were remarkably unhelpful; will no doubt be changing insurers from Barclays next time round...

I'll have a look in some of the classic mags as suggested by Rushjob but does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanx, still...

Clueless