Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 16-Aug-2006, 21:14
Ducati Corse

Wireless broadband

Hi guys.
I signed up for the Orange Broadband offer (mobile phone plus free broadband and wireless modem).

The modem turned up today and i've been trying to get it working. Connected to my lap top by an ethernet cable it works fine but i can't get it to work with the wireless thing. I've got a pcmcia wirelss card plugged in. Clicking on the icon by the clock brings up the wirelsss network box which tells me that i am connected to the Livebox (which is the Orange modem) but top right where i'm told it should say connected or disconnected it just says "validating identity" and the orange wireless set up routine say it cannot connect.

I'm an internet numpty so can someone help?

I'm running windows XP Home by the way.
Old 16-Aug-2006, 21:36
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Have you configured your wireless card with the network key for your router?

This is usually found on a sticker on the bottom of the router. Once armed with this double click on the green signal strength meter. Click the advanced tab. Make sure the network is highlighted in available networks and click configure. Enter the network key in the appropriate box and click OK. You should be up and running then.
Old 16-Aug-2006, 21:37
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello rockhopper

I have a wireless network setup (Belkin), don't quote me
but if you are getting a connection via ethernet cable
you need to type in something like http://192.168 etc etc in your brouser, which should bring up a setup page that allows you to set security for your (wireless thing) (router maybe) normally 64-bit WEP is ok then disconnect the ethernet cable and try wireless.

Good luck

maybe somebody will be along with more info

TopiToo
Old 16-Aug-2006, 22:28
Ducati Corse

Hi Gents. Yes i've entered that code Chris, its just keeps saying validating identity. It loks like thats where the problem is though doesn't it? TopiToo, that address doesn't work, i guess i need to now what the etc etc bit actually is!
Old 16-Aug-2006, 22:42
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Found this, it may help

http://help.orange.co.uk/documentDisplay.do?clusterName=DefaultCluster&prev iew=1&groupId=1&page=http://ESERVER_c2e0c301-4908-4256-9aef-d3cdb6f7f027.xhtml&docType=1006&resultType=5002&do cProp=$solution_id&docPropValue=kb166
Old 16-Aug-2006, 23:08
Ducati Corse

Thanks Chris.

I got into the router configuration thing an turned off he securty and i still couldn't connect to it so it looks like my wireless card is giving me trouble.

Also non of the configuration screens on my computer look quite the same as the ones on the Orange web site!
Old 17-Aug-2006, 00:15
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper
TopiToo, that address doesn't work, i guess i need to now what the etc etc bit actually is!

Hello rockhopper,

somewhere in the manual for the router should be a default web page ie 192.168 something , something etc there all different, Its a default that allows you to access the router to get to security settings etc.

sorry its how I set my belkin network up,

TopiToo
Old 17-Aug-2006, 09:20
Ducati Corse

No thats fine, i got into the set up by the utility that Orange provide (once i'd found the password) but turning the secuity off all together didn't help.
The problem might be that i don't have any software or info for the wireless card i'm using so i'll get a new one at dinner time and see if that helps.
Old 17-Aug-2006, 11:11
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
username: admin
password: admin

You may need to press one of the buttons (I think it's button 1) on the box, as your wireless system is probably trying to connect with all the right details, but you have not be "hard" authorised - that is that the box doesn't yet know to accept your MAC address.

This is an extra layer of security. It means that even if someone has your network key (printed on the cd sleeve) they still can't get onto your network as they need physical access to the box to press the button and authenticate themselves.

I suggest you read through the manual that came with the box and make sure you carefully follow the steps, as you may have missed something.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 17-Aug-2006, 11:14
Ducati Corse

Dam, you susssed my top secret passwords!

Yes, it has those two buttons, press one to put it into pairing mode as they call it.

I'll have another six hours at it tonight perhaps.