Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Nov-2011, 21:02
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
fibreglass or carbon tanks,,,

I have read the rules but remember skids saying they couldn't be used because of ACU regs...I'm just reading the handbook and cant find any reference??? any pointers?
Old 15-Nov-2011, 21:43
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
I have read the rules but remember skids saying they couldn't be used because of ACU regs...I'm just reading the handbook and cant find any reference??? any pointers?

Yes, you can't use them. DD regs state that the tank must be steel or aluminium.
Old 15-Nov-2011, 21:54
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Yea here is a couple of pointers

The ACU has a general rule with parts used must be deemed to be safe. So turning up at a race meeting may only get you as far as scrutineering, if the Technical inspector doesn't thinlk its safe then he can fail it

The FIM rule on fibreglass or carbon fibre tanks requires the manufacturer of the tank to prove it to be safe.
Now I know our Cheif technical officer holds a FIM permit and carries the FIM rule book with him and having chatted with him about it, I would say he doesn't want tosee thm out on the track unless they comply with the rules as laid down by the FIM

Carbon tanks aren't cheap so not really in keeping with DD, Fibreglass tanks can be made for less but having a decent one made that is safe and impervious to the effects of some of the chemicals found in todays pump fuel isn't going to be cheap.

Seems a complete lack of fibreglass tanks from the likes of Harris Performance, Demon Tweeks etc.

Mainly because the only way they can prove them to be safe in the event of a crash and possible rupture is to fit them with an approved fuel cell.

Be cheaper to Buy a couple of alloy tanks

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 15-Nov-2011, 22:07
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Yes, you can't use them. DD regs state that the tank must be steel or aluminium.

Kev! Knock Knock
Old 15-Nov-2011, 22:16
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
Kev! Knock Knock

Chaz, I know, I know and its there for good reason, Yet a couple of DDers one of which was Bradders did ask about fibreglass tanks last season, so I did look into it and discussed it with Bernie and he showed me the FIM rule book when we were at Snetterton the other weekend at the Final Hottrax meeting.

So the 2012 rule book retains the Steel or Alluminium or OEM Plastic

The OEM Plastic Monster tank will have been proven safe for road use by Ducati and therefore accecpted as suitable for use on the race track

Vince Whittles Carbon fibre tank on his Ducati exploding into a fireball when it contacted the Oulton Tarmac that tried to engulf Haga showed just how vunerable they can be

Old 15-Nov-2011, 22:21
MotoGP God

thanks, knew I had read something, wasn't ACU then as they dont say you cant use them then. How could the scrut fail it - on their opinion?!

Alloy tanks seem to be difficult to track down to get someone to do one, and cost hundreds anyway, whereas there are FG and carbon 996 tanks out there already

seems to me the argument for DD being cheap has been thrown miles out of the window in recent years anyway, if it ever was on the window, with even B bikes costing fortunes

hopefully mine with be with me in the next few weeks...
Old 15-Nov-2011, 22:22
MotoGP God

I believe R6 and 848s have suffered the same fete, exploding into flames as they wear thru the plastic on a high speed offs
Old 15-Nov-2011, 23:09
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 848 Evo ‘Pikes Peak’, 748S, 200 Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
I believe R6 and 848s have suffered the same fete, exploding into flames as they wear thru the plastic on a high speed offs

When was a DD bike ever capable of 'high speed' ???
Old 15-Nov-2011, 23:35
MotoGP God

The only lightweight tank I recall in Class A last year was Steve Hand's, I can't recall any race winners, or Lap record breakers in Class A having a lightweight tank so why is it such a issue that we don't allow Carbon or Fibreglass tanks, its not as though its a necessity. And yes Plastic tanks are a worry as far as the cheif technical officer is concerned but ACU and FIM rules allow them. I doubt it would be doing anybody any favours if they banned the use of plastic tanks which up until Triumph put one on a production bike a few years ago were also banned from UK registered bikes and were a MOT failure

A new alloy tank will cost around £450 to £500 from the established tank fabricators and can use the standard pump and should fit straight on,
Not sure what a non established tank fabricator would charge

A carbon 916 style tank will cost about £400 and then if its like my one which takes the 916 style pump it also requires a suitable tank cap, so your looking at £500 plus and then it needs to be made to fit and there is no way its going to fit over a standard Monster Airbox, for over £300 less you can fit a standard 916 tank and hammer the hell out of the underside of it, with that done its then a matter of making front and rear mountings for it and probably relocating the Battery and ECU

Old 16-Nov-2011, 00:29
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
So the advocating of hammering a tank to fit is ok, but using a carbon one isnt????????? Thank god we all know nothing of material science.................... Best keep all those 1098r's of the track incase they self- implode