Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 04-May-2004, 15:03
500SD

insurance co avin a larf

chopping my 996R in for a new 999R which i pick up on saturday
got a change of vehicle quote from my insurance co (CIS) and they informed me that i would be getting a £110 return on my policy! i said to them that i'm not complaining but could they double check and confirmed the bike details to them and yes it was correct.
Great i thought so i ring my local agent to get a cover note sorted and to arrange transfer over.
Cover note turns up last week, no probs so far.
The schedule and certificate turns up yesterday and that shows a additional premium payable of £695!
I called the central office who gave me the original quote and they checked and said yes an error has been made, they will look into it for me and listen to the phone records of the quotation and come back to me in a day or so.

Got a reply from insurance co and they are saying

"the value of the vehicle was not disclosed and when our advisor asked if everything else was to stay the same on the policy, you replied 'yes'. This information was taken from the phone call that was made dated...."

Isn't it up to an insurance company to ask for all the relevant information?
Surely its common sense (even for an insurance company) that if you are enquiring about a change of vehicle from a 3 year old one to a brand new one that the value is going to be different?? They asked me details about the bike and i gave them everything!(04 999R) then they ask if anything else has changed and as nothing else has i said no 'just the bike' hence a change of vehicle quote!
what should i do now? Ombudsman?
I rang the contact and he has now admitted that they now don't seem to have the conversation from the original quote on tape?? yeah right? But he will go and 'talk' to his supervisor. He said it would be very unlikely that i would get a refund on my policy as told originally but they may be able to come to some agreement. I told him I would not push for the rebate i was told that i would get as long as i don't have to pay the additional £695

Were do i stand? i accepted the change on the basis of the quote i was given (I even asked them to double check) and feel seriously f**ked off as i might now have to fork out another 700 squid on insurance! the policy is already costing me £1197!! wtf??
any advice greatly appreciated...

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by chillo]
Old 04-May-2004, 17:38
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Seems like they're trying to blame you for their mistake. You told them it was a new 999r so they should assume the value according to the records which they hold. They obviously didn't check.
The previous insured value was for your old bike therefore despite you saying everything else is the same, it's rubbish to say they'd assume the same value also. They have the info for vehicle you declared and they just didn't use it.

If you have some evidence of the quote you got on the phone then you can tell them to stitch it! Otherwise it's a case of trying to "trick" them into admitting the number they originally quoted - They cannot cancel your policy on the grounds of their mistake, they'll threaten to but you can tell them to foxtrot oscar.

Just remembered.... same thing happened to me many years ago on a car policy. I ended up telling them to sod off, and threatened to take action against them if they tried to void my policy. Rather than chasing evidence of what they actually quoted, I asked them to prove that they quoted the extra - they couldn't, therefore no amendment could be made either way, and according to the smallprint the vehicles value is assumed as market value unless stated otherwise.

Ball's in your court here mate, don't let them scare you. You can either take a moral stand and offer to come to some sort of agreement, or you can demand they prove the agreement made on the phone for an extra £6xx.

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by NBs996]
Old 05-May-2004, 23:14
500SD

insurance co have offered to take off the £110 rebate from the extra premium they wanted (£695) then half the balance leaving me to pay £292.51

do you think i should take this or push it a bit more??
Old 06-May-2004, 08:07
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I think that's a reasonable compromise mate.
But make sure they're not reducing something in your cover in order to get the price down!