Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 21-Nov-2006, 14:25
Mille

I take it from this posting that you're not selling the wheels anymore?

If you change your mind let me know and I'll make you an offer for them.
Old 21-Nov-2006, 18:01
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
PM sent

I have so many mids its hard to make them up!! If I can get what I need, then I'll sell, if not I'll have them painted and fit them and probably sell off the 3 spokers.
Old 21-Nov-2006, 23:14
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
Wheels

Red frame with Satin Black wheels!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trackside.JPG (110.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 22-Nov-2006, 00:15
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Quite interested in this thread as one day I plan to get a Marchi to match my gold front that seems to have a metal type finish it to....NO IDEA who will be able to match the finish on this yet:

Cheers - Frank
Old 22-Nov-2006, 10:28
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
are the marchesini's alloy or magnesium?
if they are alloy, fine, paint or powder coat, either is an option.
if they are magnesium, be aware, they have a zinc di-chromate coating that protects the magnesium from moisture absorption from the atmosphere, this causes corrosion and makes the material weak and brittle, NOT GOOD! if they are mag, don't get them blasted unless you know you can get the zinc di-chromate plating re done. when getting them painted i would reccomend asking for a dry rub with a scotchbrite pad and painted wet on wet. the finish won't be as perfect as a proper wet rub and sanding between coats but it will ensure the coating stays sealed and intact.
powdercoating magnesium doesn't in itself cause problems but again, they will want to blast them first and there goes the zinc di-chromate coating, another issue is the thickness of the powder, it makes it very difficult to see corrosion taking hold underneath, often looks like crazy trails lifting under the surface, if you see this on wheels you are thinking of buying, run a mile...quickly.
hope it helps,
cheers,
paul.
Old 22-Nov-2006, 10:33
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Cheers Paul,

Yes - my front wheel in the pic is a Magnesium Marchi. I did wonder how the finish was achieved. I'll only ever be able to afford an alloy rear so, I guess a colour match is probably the best I can hope for.

Thanks again - Frank
Old 22-Nov-2006, 21:58
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888
are the marchesini's alloy or magnesium?
if they are alloy, fine, paint or powder coat, either is an option.
if they are magnesium, be aware, they have a zinc di-chromate coating that protects the magnesium from moisture absorption from the atmosphere, this causes corrosion and makes the material weak and brittle, NOT GOOD! if they are mag, don't get them blasted unless you know you can get the zinc di-chromate plating re done. when getting them painted i would reccomend asking for a dry rub with a scotchbrite pad and painted wet on wet. the finish won't be as perfect as a proper wet rub and sanding between coats but it will ensure the coating stays sealed and intact.
powdercoating magnesium doesn't in itself cause problems but again, they will want to blast them first and there goes the zinc di-chromate coating, another issue is the thickness of the powder, it makes it very difficult to see corrosion taking hold underneath, often looks like crazy trails lifting under the surface, if you see this on wheels you are thinking of buying, run a mile...quickly.
hope it helps,
cheers,
paul.

Blimey Paul - your worrying me now !! Ive got a brand new set of 5 spoke mags on my 888, and the front has got a few thin 'scribble like' lines on it which I put down to either poor paint, or brake fluid spillage (you may recall my brembo billets had a hairline fracture in them)...?

Nat
Old 23-Nov-2006, 10:43
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
without seeing them it would be hard for me to say, but, brake fluid stain is on top of the paint, and obviously so, if the scribble like lines are UNDER the paint get em looked at. they are very thin lines that look a lot like crows feet. you say brand new, were they old stock? did you get them painted? to be sure, you should find someone who KNOWS what they're on about to have a look, get someone honest, not someone who will just tell you what you want to hear.
i don't mean to worry anybody but it's worth remembering magnesium wheels are primarily for race use, smooth roads, frequent inspections etc, and i know what i'm talking about from experience, i've been running 2 piece marvic superlight wheels on my 888 and other bikes for years. catch them early enough and you can re-plate them and all is well.
cheers,
paul.
Old 23-Nov-2006, 21:14
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888
without seeing them it would be hard for me to say, but, brake fluid stain is on top of the paint, and obviously so, if the scribble like lines are UNDER the paint get em looked at. they are very thin lines that look a lot like crows feet. you say brand new, were they old stock? did you get them painted? to be sure, you should find someone who KNOWS what they're on about to have a look, get someone honest, not someone who will just tell you what you want to hear.
i don't mean to worry anybody but it's worth remembering magnesium wheels are primarily for race use, smooth roads, frequent inspections etc, and i know what i'm talking about from experience, i've been running 2 piece marvic superlight wheels on my 888 and other bikes for years. catch them early enough and you can re-plate them and all is well.
cheers,
paul.

Yes - they were old stock. Had a look tonight. Rear - no problem.

But the front has these liitle 'worm type' marks here and there and now im worried - these wheels have only been on the bike a year and ive probably covered less than 1000 miles.

Ive attached a couplf of pics and close up it looks worse than it is - opinions appreciated..!

Nat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag wheel 1.JPG (31.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 23-Nov-2006, 21:14
Ducati in my Blood

another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mag wheel 2.JPG (40.3 KB, 15 views)