Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Feb-2006, 22:54
Mille

Anyone commute on an SBK?

Does it sound like madness? Are my wrists going to hurt? I do a 2 hr round trip daily so its not too long a journey.

Seen a yellow 748 and a red 749 in the last couple of days in the center of london. Just wondered wher people park them. Surely a bay = battered fairings!
Old 16-Feb-2006, 23:14
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
When I use my 999 to get to work it's about 45 mins each way in traffic or about 30 mins outside of rush hour. I don't even notice that short a trip, comfort-wise. The only thing, it's pretty much a straight road to work and back, unless I do a bit of a detour - a bit dull, really.
The bike is parked in the company car park, practically under my window. I've asked for a fire escape to be built next to my desk but no luck so far. I'll keep trying, can't be too careful.

Old 16-Feb-2006, 23:26
888 at Last !!!

I go to work on my 999R almost everyday, but i't like a 10 minutes ride :P
Old 16-Feb-2006, 23:28
Big Twin

Nah I walk to work

Must say tho the 996 is more comfortable than the wife's SV as I get a Numb ass on that one.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 23:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
I used to ride across london on my 916, and parked it in the company car park. Wrists hurt after a few months. I bought a scooter.....

Have you considered a cheap comfy bike? Lots of good hacks around for sub £2k.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 23:46
Montjuic

yes but only when the weather is good and no salt on the road. (not that often in Scotland), its a 1 hour ride (45 miles) and its a good fun even if the 999 is not the best at filtering and needing to be reved but then at least the cars hear me coming with the termi's.

The big win is that its a joy to ride to work rather that sitting in a square box I simply put the laptop, suit and shirt in a rucksack and change in work, I even have my mobile connected to an autocom for the last minute panics on the way home.
Old 16-Feb-2006, 23:49
500SD

If you're going to do it I'd say definitely drop the gearing - like +4 on the back. It makes 1st gear work through traffic so much easier. I have taken the 999 to work in the West End a few times but I can't say it's that much fun. The Numpty is much better for the job
Old 17-Feb-2006, 00:09
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I commuted on my 996 from Twickenham to Bank every day for about 9 months. I had a secure undercover carpark though.

I put a 14 tooth sprocket on the front and a lightened flywheel in and it was fine. I loved it, plenty of comments from all sorts at the lights (not just about my riding!). You just have to take it a bit easy because it's easy to find yourself doing stupid speeds in built up area's. Especially when you're trying to make a gap, and then you see another one ahead and as you approach that one you see another one ... next thing you know you're doing 100mph down the Embankment at 8:30am with the rest of the commuting traffic wondering WTF that noise is! (54mm Sil Motor's!)

Old 17-Feb-2006, 01:40
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
I commuted on my 996 from Twickenham to Bank every day for about 9 months. I had a secure undercover carpark though.

I put a 14 tooth sprocket on the front and a lightened flywheel in and it was fine. I loved it, plenty of comments from all sorts at the lights (not just about my riding!). You just have to take it a bit easy because it's easy to find yourself doing stupid speeds in built up area's. Especially when you're trying to make a gap, and then you see another one ahead and as you approach that one you see another one ... next thing you know you're doing 100mph down the Embankment at 8:30am with the rest of the commuting traffic wondering WTF that noise is! (54mm Sil Motor's!)

LOL TP that sums me up completely, LOOK THERES A GAP !!

/ian
Old 17-Feb-2006, 02:39
Mille

I do 43 miles one way, but luckily it's not an every day job. Only a few times a month do I have to actually go to the office. All freeway too. BORING. But this bike still makes it as fun as I guess it can be. Comfort wise it's not even an issue and I can still squeeze 45 mpg (maybe 48 if I'm lucky) out of her if I take it easy.