Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Nov-2006, 22:10
Mille

Mood: just love my slipper clutch
Question how many miles

does any body know aprox how many miles a 916 can do befor it should need a rebuild big end pistons rings am talking about road miles not track or is there much life left at one that has done 21k
Old 23-Nov-2006, 22:41
GTL

Hi despite what the know nothings/numpties say these are very reliable motors. If they have been looked after!....as in good regular oil changes,warming up before going for a run etc....21,000 miles should be O.K. but if your not sure, either knock the price down or leave well alone! A good service record should be looked for, by a good dealer!!! I have stripped quite a few of these motors at this sort of miles and found very little wear on those that have been well looked after. I carry out all my own work and wouldn't worry about that sort of milage, but if you have to pay someone, you may be better off looking for a lower milage model and paying a bit more!
Steve
Old 23-Nov-2006, 23:30
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
As said above, the motors are pretty strong providing they have been looked after. I know of quite a few with 30k + on them and still sweet.
The flip side is that i've done big ends at 8k...........

History is everything. Also, if the owner "knows" Ducati and answers questions regarding belt changes, oil changes etc. with some knowledge then that could be a guide as to it's well being.
Old 23-Nov-2006, 23:51
Mille

Mood: just love my slipper clutch
thanks for the information chaps motor sounds ok but then again its hard to tell with the ducati dry clutch chattering away
Old 24-Nov-2006, 01:12
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Try listening to the motor with the clutch pulled in. This will remove most of the primary gear noise making any bottom end noises more apparent.
If the clutch is really rattly, then it may be worn
Old 24-Nov-2006, 09:10
Ducati Corse

My ST4 (same engine) has done just over 25K and is as sweet as a nut.
Old 24-Nov-2006, 09:12
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
My 748 track bike has done 21,000, hasnt got any service history, and its fine ! (no dodgy rockers (yet) either).

Many people are of the opinion that a bike thats done 20,000 miles and ridden all year round, is better than one of the same age thats done 5,000 and not ridden for months at a time...!

Nat
Old 24-Nov-2006, 10:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
I know of a 996 that did 30K plus in about 3 years with nothing more than routine servicing, maybe the odd rocker, lost touch with the owner now so maybe it's still going strong.

It's possible to kill a motor in a few miles on the other hand there is no reason why they can't go on for big miles if they are looked after.

I think its reasonably true to say the quality as they come out of the factory can be a little variable, if Guiseppe or more likely, Romana, was having a bit of an off day when they assembled you engine thay may have a bearing, if you will pardon the pun on the longevity of the engine in any particular bike.

The engine were, and still are as far as I know hand built, the quality is a lot better than it used to be but when there are tolerances that can either stack up for or against the longevity on the margins.

Ray.
Old 24-Nov-2006, 11:43
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
34,000 miles ('00 996) regular oil/filter changes and serviced at proper intervals.
NO WORRIES MATE.