Ducati Sporting Club UK
Stolen Bikes
Please read the guidelines on this thread before posting an entry

Old 07-Dec-2005, 15:20
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
My 748 and multistrada live in garage away from the house I don't even take the keys out of the ignition some days. I don't fit any locks or any other security items. When I open the garage door which is only locked with the small lock in the middle of the twist handle I don't want to spend 20mins or so unlocking everything. I just get on and ride. I don't lock it outside work and I always park in the same place (bike park). The only bike I have ever had nicked (DT 175) was one Christmas morning I run out of petrol. I chained the bike to a lamp post and a concrete bench. 25mins later it had gone, I just rely on the insurance now that's what it's there for.
Old 07-Dec-2005, 15:24
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by multi600
My 748 and multistrada live in garage away from the house I don't even take the keys out of the ignition some days. I don't fit any locks or any other security items. When I open the garage door which is only locked with the small lock in the middle of the twist handle I don't want to spend 20mins or so unlocking everything. I just get on and ride. I don't lock it outside work and I always park in the same place

Just curious, where do you live? Full address and postcode, give me a shout next time you are on Holiday!
Old 07-Dec-2005, 15:30
RCA

Quote:
My 748 and multistrada live in garage away from the house I don't even take the keys out of the ignition some days. I don't fit any locks or any other security items. When I open the garage door which is only locked with the small lock in the middle of the twist handle I don't want to spend 20mins or so unlocking everything. I just get on and ride. I don't lock it outside work and I always park in the same place (bike park). The only bike I have ever had nicked (DT 175) was one Christmas morning I run out of petrol. I chained the bike to a lamp post and a concrete bench. 25mins later it had gone, I just rely on the insurance now that's what it's there for.

This has GOT to be a wind up?
Old 07-Dec-2005, 15:37
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
Life is too short to waste locking and unlocking bikes they are for riding. In total 18 bikes in two garages both in same block. Both with same level of security, chill out man and no this is not a wind up. Just how things are.
Old 07-Dec-2005, 15:41
RCA

Quote:
Originally posted by guest1
Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
Quote:
Originally posted by loverobot
whilst i agree that people should be careful i think your post ignores the fact that it takes seconds not hours to nick a bike

Which is my point, NEVER leave the bike unattended, even for 5 seconds. If the circumstances at the time make this difficult to do, don't be suprised when it's vanished.

In the words of TT 'it only takes a minute girl'.

1 - how do you ever get any work done if you don't leave your bike unattended, even for 5 seconds.

2 - "In the words of TT 'it only takes a minute girl2" - for those of us old enough to remember, that was originally by One hundred ton and a feather (also known as Jonathan King).

1.To summarise my point. If you leave a bike, outside, unattended, expect it to get stolen.

2. You old git! Very good! :P
Old 07-Dec-2005, 15:45
RCA

Quote:
Life is too short to waste locking and unlocking bikes they are for riding. In total 18 bikes in two garages both in same block. Both with same level of security, chill out man and no this is not a wind up. Just how things are.

: flame:
Old 07-Dec-2005, 15:53
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
Quote:
Originally posted by guest1
Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
Quote:
Originally posted by loverobot
whilst i agree that people should be careful i think your post ignores the fact that it takes seconds not hours to nick a bike

Which is my point, NEVER leave the bike unattended, even for 5 seconds. If the circumstances at the time make this difficult to do, don't be suprised when it's vanished.

In the words of TT 'it only takes a minute girl'.

1 - how do you ever get any work done if you don't leave your bike unattended, even for 5 seconds.

2 - "In the words of TT 'it only takes a minute girl2" - for those of us old enough to remember, that was originally by One hundred ton and a feather (also known as Jonathan King).

1.To summarise my point. If you leave a bike, outside, unattended, expect it to get stolen.

2. You old git! Very good! :P

Wow, now I'm really paranoid.

does it also follow then that:
you leave a doughnut outside, expect it to get eaten.
you leave a baby in a room, expect it not to be in the same place when you get back
you leave your AA card at home, expect to break down
if you go to a DSC meet, expect to make friends (aw, bless) and get the rip taken out of you

Murphy's law et al.
If you go through life worrying about every little thing you'll end up with hunched shoulders before your out of nappies.
Old 07-Dec-2005, 17:12
Mille

Mood: counting
doesn't too much security bring more attention to what your protecting ?
Old 07-Dec-2005, 17:22
500SD

people get carjacked but it doesnt stop me driving with the roof off

if you cannot leave your bike for a while locked up up imho you are paranoid

my bikes are alarmed and immobilised

anchored in the garage and locked up

but i refuse to subscribe to the idea that if you go out and leave your bike unattended for a bit you are 'asking for it' - thats utter bollox

if you cannot do this you cannot enjoy ownership

i like to go out for a long blast to end up somewhere and then visit that somewhere before having a blast back so presumeably if my bike gets nicked i deserve it too

complete nonsense

theres taking care of your bike and thers taking it to bed.....................
Old 07-Dec-2005, 17:27
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:

I'm exactly the same. Bikes get left, often with the keys in, in a garage with a tiny padlock on the outside. I never lock them when parked elsewhere, just take the keys out. I'd never get back what they're worth by insurance, but I'm fcucked if I 'm going to let a bunch of thieving gypsy scum give me sleepless nights worrying if they're carrying liquid nitrogen or an angle grinder. If they get nicked then so be it. Still got a roof over my head, food in my belly, and a top notch missus.

Ali