Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Feb-2012, 17:40
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Had a loose wire in a connector at Snett last year... Would cut ignition when the bars were turned right. The connector was pushed together ok, but one of the wires could be pulled out of it because the little metal tab on the end of the wire wasn't locked in properly. So maybe try pulling each individual wire out of every connector/fuse/relay/etc... I one pulls out it might be the cause.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 18:29
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
Yep all clear.
If the harness is a possible issue I was considering this.
The pump has a 12v feed when the ignition is turned on. The ECU then turns the earth on until the pump is up to pressure then turns it off. When the ECU gets a signal from the ignition sensor it turns the earth on again so the engine will run.

Somebody rewired it then or is the test meter leads connected wrong as normally the pumps Earth goes directly to earth and the 12 volt feed is supplied by one of the engine management relays with the status of the relay controlled by the ECU, the same relay should also put 12 volts on to the coils at the same time as putting it onto the pump

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 22-Feb-2012, 19:27
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Somebody rewired it then or is the test meter leads connected wrong as normally the pumps Earth goes directly to earth and the 12 volt feed is supplied by one of the engine management relays with the status of the relay controlled by the ECU, the same relay should also put 12 volts on to the coils at the same time as putting it onto the pump

Cheers Kev, I actually got that inf from ducati.ms. I've just made a temp harness which runs the pump on it's own. If it works when riding the bike it at least points me towards the wiring albeit from the relay's and or the ecu.

The biggest problem is i have to ride the bike for the problem to occur. Sitting the garage it's fine.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 19:35
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
is it the 1.6M-B ECU and which Chip

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 22-Feb-2012, 19:48
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
is it the 1.6M-B ECU and which Chip

Yes. I have a DP chip for the exhausts and 2 JHP ones aswell.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 21:07
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The fuel pump supplies fuel under pressure as long as the crankshaft is turning. For safety, the pump is switched off by the ECU after about five seconds if the crankshaft stops turning.

So if the crank rotation sensor gap is incorrect such that it grows too large at temperature, the ECU will think the engine is stopped and shut off the pump. A cracked casing will also cause the gap to be incorrect at temperature.

If the sensor-ECU wiring or the sensor itself is faulty this can also result in pump shut-off.

Check the gap.
Old 22-Feb-2012, 21:15
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazaam!
The fuel pump supplies fuel under pressure as long as the crankshaft is turning. For safety, the pump is switched off by the ECU after about five seconds if the crankshaft stops turning.

So if the crank rotation sensor gap is incorrect such that it grows too large at temperature, the ECU will think the engine is stopped and shut off the pump. A cracked casing will also cause the gap to be incorrect at temperature.

If the sensor-ECU wiring or the sensor itself is faulty this can also result in pump shut-off.

Check the gap.

Brilliant.

Confirmed somewhat by this guy with the same problem.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...goJOEoOwG7FjXA

Last edited by dunlop0_1 : 22-Feb-2012 at 21:28.
Old 23-Feb-2012, 00:34
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Wow, not seen you on here for a long time Shazaam, top tip M8.
Hope that helps Neil.
Dont think I'm going to make Brands as my rear shock is not back from refurb yet. Aiming for Snett to watch your dust. lol

Craig
Old 23-Feb-2012, 00:49
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I may do C1 at Snett too Craig, I like it there
Old 25-Feb-2012, 15:53
Big Twin

Well some progress may have been made. After reading the link posted earlier the guy had exactly the same issues as me. Since I have changed I think every part on the bike I decided to take some resistance readings across the crank sensor and the spare one I used (don't know if it's relevant though). Both of them cold gave around 340 ohms and hot around 450 ohms.
Now compare this with a brand new one which started at around 450 ohms cold and went up to around 980 ohms when hot.
I figure like the guy in the link that the breaking down point of each sensor only kicked in when the bike got to around 180 degrees + hence my first track sessions being with out a problem. Once the sensor had got hot and spit the dummy out I don't think it recovered fully until it cooled again, which possible was not long enough in the 40 mins between sessions.

I'm hoping I had two duff sensors and the new one will prove my right tomorrow at Angelsey. Still taking an ECU wiring harness with me though.