Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Feb-2009, 11:55
Bikes: Ducati, Aprilia and KTM - no yapanese please

Hi Folks

Thanks for the posts.
The APTC clutches are not proper slipper clutches. They're a bit like the standard 'slipper' clutch fitted to Aprilia Milles. Try this with the APTC 'slipper' clutch:
End of Revett Straight (Snetterton), clutch in, down 3 gears, clutch out...

This is the real price of a slipper clutch:
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/slipperclutchrange.html
£630

My point is this: Desmo Due is supposed to be a cheap(ish) race series. I think that by allowing expensive, non-standard parts it gives folks who can spend more money on the bike an advantage. I'm just using teh slipper clutches as an example, there are probably a host of other ££ mods that I don't know about.

A number of years ago, BemSee ran (and could still be running) a MZ race series. Little 2 stroke MZs phutt-phutting around race circuits. It was fun and cheap. Within a few seasons it all got out of hand and the 'cheap' little MZs were costing some competitors many 1000s. Of course... the ones who could afford better equipment had an advantage - very frustrating for those who couldn't afford the bits.

Yeah, yeah... rider ability and all, but it gets pretty frustrating and disheartening when someone on an 'equal' bike pulls a 25 yard gap on you down every straight.

Yes, there are some more tightly controlled equal machine race series (single make series like the old R6 cup) - but these tend to be fairly serious... and certainly not cheap.

I don't believe allowing expensive non-standard parts are within the ethos of a 'cheap', fun race series.

Laters

Ciao!
Old 12-Feb-2009, 12:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
That's just racing, there's no way to change it once the series is up and running. We discussed options a couple of months back for maintaining a level playing-field (look back through the DD threads) but the best suggestions need implementing before you issue a rule book.

You're right, it is galling when you're beaten by a machine that you know is quicker with a rider you know is slower, but you have to reflect on why you're racing - it's fine to walk away with the knowledge you're quicker. The only problem is when you're battling for the No1 spot (or a podium), then it can really get you down, but I was beaten into 4th twice this year (my second 4th at Assen......ARSE!) and both times I was beaten by better rider skills regardless of the bikes they were riding. Racing, like life, isn't perfect.... but it's better to be out playing than in watching.
Old 12-Feb-2009, 14:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
can't see as class A can be any more exspensive than it was when people were gearing up for the 2005 season.
Those buying a 620 at the end of 04 or begining of 05 were buying bikes that were 2 years old or less, some even buying new.

I'm sure I could now go and buy a 620 plus a slipper clutch for less than most paid for their 620s back then.

On the other hand Class B was introduced in 2006 as a cheaper alternative to attract newwbies to racing

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 12-Feb-2009, 16:29
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtherapy
My point is this: Desmo Due is supposed to be a cheap(ish) race series.

LOL if you entered class A and wanted a full spec bike built for you it would cost around £10k, you can buy one tho for £5k-£6k and maybe cheaper. Per round that makes it an expensive series, however running costs are low and tyre bills are peanuts which is where the big saving is.

reality is if you want to run at the front you have to have a top spec bike, top spec doesn't mean slipper clutch tho as the 2008 winning bike and 2005 winning bikes didn't have them but feel free to use not having one as an excuse
Old 12-Feb-2009, 17:29
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtherapy
Hi Folks

Thanks for the posts.
The APTC clutches are not proper slipper clutches. They're a bit like the standard 'slipper' clutch fitted to Aprilia Milles. Try this with the APTC 'slipper' clutch:
End of Revett Straight (Snetterton), clutch in, down 3 gears, clutch out...

And there my friend may be your problem, why are you pulling the clutch in?

On a DD bike you don't need to, not even at the end of the Revett straight
If I'd had a slipper clutch on my 675 in 2005 I wouldn't be sharing the Snet lap record with Ali

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 12-Feb-2009, 18:33
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
If I'd had a slipper clutch on my 675 in 2005 I wouldn't be sharing the Snet lap record with Ali

If I'd had one on my 675 in 2005 you'd still be digging yourself out of the kitty-litter at Quarry!
Old 12-Feb-2009, 21:06
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
If I'd had one on my 675 in 2005 you'd still be digging yourself out of the kitty-litter at Quarry!

And we'd be at different tracks - there's no Quarry at Snet, and the Quarry at Castle Combe has no gravel, only grass - I know, I've had a lie down there

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 12-Feb-2009, 21:12
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
And we'd be at different tracks - there's no Quarry at Snet, and the Quarry at Castle Combe has no gravel, only grass - I know, I've had a lie down there

You both have!

Old 12-Feb-2009, 22:12
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
You both have!

I like to think that between us we've crashed everywhere worth crashing!

ps: Did I crash last year?? Did I f***!
Old 12-Feb-2009, 22:18
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
I like to think that between us we've crashed everywhere worth crashing!

ps: Did I crash last year?? Did I f***!

I've calmed down a bit in my old age, haven't crashed since the first race of the year in Mallory! Check me out!