Old 25-Feb-2011, 17:03
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996
....3 services
not being started in 3/4 year.
<snip>
being an ornament I think

I would suggest that any value would need to take into consideration that it'll probably need a full service and to be properly checked over.

If something's been prepared and stored properly, there's not much to worry about, but I'd certainly think twice about a bike that's not turned a wheel in 3 to 4 years? (or did you mean 3/4 of a year, e.g. 9 months?)

G
Old 25-Feb-2011, 17:36
Bevel Head

...three to four years...

Yes, I know it will need belts,battery ckeck...(£250 ish guessing)

so what do you think its worth ????
Old 26-Feb-2011, 02:53
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
£5,000
Old 26-Feb-2011, 08:39
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
[quote=996]...three to four years...

QUOTE]

More like £400 + as it will need all fluids doing, more than likely it will need a full service.

Chris
Old 26-Feb-2011, 14:31
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996
...three to four years...

so what do you think its worth ????

Where are you going for a full service? £250?

It'll need all the fluids changed. That'll include flushing the brake and clutch systems, along with all the coolant, as well as the oil, filter (oil screen, which most people forget), fuel filter, etc...

I'd be looking at the full service as a starting point, with clearances all being checked. Yes, new belts (correctly fitted) are right up towards the top of the list.

Not a bad idea to have the other keys systems (suspension, steering) checked, lubed, torqued as well...

Yes, a new battery's most likely needed (I doubt that even a carefull stored battery would be the same after that period of time)

Depending on how carefully it's been stored, you'll want to take care with the tyres as well. Even if kept indoors, warm and dry; the tyres will start to 'harden' a little and can suffer from 'flatting' if they've not been turned regularly.

A concern, with anything that's stored for such a long period is obviously condensation build-up, shrinking seals and stuff like that...

These things are designed to be used (even just warming something through doesn't get things up to a proper working temperature).

G
Old 26-Feb-2011, 17:05
Bevel Head

sorry,lets not get hung up on the £250 thing....!
I should have said, ....Three to four years since it was last run and a full service, so clearences,suspension etc may be a little over the top.....

...anyway lets put that to one side and focus on the original question then !
Old 26-Feb-2011, 18:00
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

Last summer mint 998Ss were going for up to £6500, and although the trading season hasn't begun sufficiently to know how much they've depreciated, winter prices suggest they haven't done much. So it all depends how much you think its being stood for that time affects the price - not an easy calculation.

But as others have said budget properly for a front-to-back service. When I bought mine, and despite it having a good service history, I wanted my guys (Baines) to go over it properly - all fluids (exc forks which had been done recently), belts, new battery, and inc valves, which needed doing. And it added up, though worth every penny for the peace of mind. But you may well be more DIY than I am.
Old 27-Feb-2011, 14:45
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996
sorry,lets not get hung up on the £250 thing....!
I should have said, ....Three to four years since it was last run and a full service, so clearences,suspension etc may be a little over the top.....

...anyway lets put that to one side and focus on the original question then !

Okay, I follow you now...

To close off the first part, it'd depend on the buyer and intention... Buying to use it and buying with ever having the intention to sell onward (at any time) is a different thing.

Those with a passing interest with Ducati seem to get entirely hung-up (with a little help from the media) about FULL, main dealer, Service History with all the STAMPS in the book (on time, every time) as well as folders of receipts.

Compare a bike that's used every weekend with one that's stored, but regularly fired up, with another that's just dry stored and not fired up at all...

The reality is that there's other things to consider, that's all... Like a machine that's regularly used and regularly maintained is (imho) less likely to have issues...

As for value... As has been said, the weather's picking up a little and certainly over the next few months there'll be more interest in buying / selling.

Still haven't understood if we're talkin' abotu buyin' or sellin'? (as there's quite a divide, with 'market' pressures meaning things aren't selling all that quick?)

G
Old 27-Feb-2011, 18:11
Mille

Probably about 5'5k, but values on the rise and fe going for silly money but I imagine that is more to do with buyers getting obsessed with having the last vin number I paid 4.5k for a normal mile (17k) s with loads of extras plus std parts. At least I wont worry about putting miles on her whereas u may find getting bit obsessed to keep it worth top collector dollar. Seems tragedy if they don't get used and tracked as the boys in bologna intended..