Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 05-Jun-2012, 14:04
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Gorgeous Anglesey

Not quite the weekend I planned but not all bad

Friday I spent working on some changes my Spanner man and racing mentor gave me to improve my drive. Being a trackday, it got a bit hairy a times but the data logger was showing I was getting quicker during the day so took that, and managed to get two decent lines into he two new lefts

Sat and qualifying, due to a few issues with my can (thanks Brummie Dave for the lend of the can) I had to scrub tyres in during qually. Now last year i did the same and slid off on lap 2 and cost me dearly so I decided I'd take it easy for a least two laps

As it would happen, Awesome seemed to be doing the same just in front of me so when he got going, I got going. I gave him some space then caught him for a few laps then decided I needed to go past. Matt knew I was here and let me pass into the new hairpin, which I thanked wih a wave, and I got going.

Qualified 4th which I was amazed with, although 3 secs off Angry and Paul P

First race and watching the lights, I saw in the corner of my eye Angry move so went. Even moving an inch with hottrax means a jump start, I figured best to pin it as the lights we out and I wasn't sure if I jumped or not....1 st corner and 1st place; gulp!

I sensed Angry on my outside at the hairpin and knew when I exited that I would be drifting wide, thats my line, so he would have to check and come under me. Which he did and drove past me like I was standing still. I nearly collected him in church and had to shut the throttle or I would have been on his back, and lost some momentum allowing Awesome to pass me on the brakes into Rocket hairpin.

I held my spot until the red flag which was on the way up to the next hairpin and was gutted as I was keeping with Awesome....

Start 2 not quite so good, about 7 th I think into first corner but managed to catch Paul P at Church and get alongside, outside. Bit hairy as he was drifting wide and I was on the white line already but hey...keep it pinned Bradbury was all that crossed my mind.

Paul is much better than me on the brakes so I didn't get chance to get him in turn 1 although I looked round the outside, but learned from the previous lap and went in wider for tighter exit at church to drive up the hill. Paul must have expected me on the outside and, tbh unexpectedly, seemed to give me a little space and had a look over his left shoulder. Alas I was already alongside on his right as he drifted into me, leather to leather.

Once past, I was catching Awesome and feeling like I could reel him in on the remaining few laps. Tipping into peel, I had my knee down and my foot and off the throttle ready to pick it up when I was suddenly laying flat on he track...the rear had just let go but, one in a million, it gripped and I was still on it so went from lowside to high side and I went from sliding to having a great view over Snowdonia for a brief second. "feck this is gonna hurt" feck it did. Alas I got tangled with the bike too, so every tumble forward mean the bike kept hitting me in my chest and face. Also Paul couldn't avoid the bike and went into it (sorry again)

Being totally aware of what was going on I tried to crawl away from the track to safety, stopping after a few feet as I didn't have the strength and couldn't be arsed! Now at this point i may have given it a bit of grass bashing, before I lay on my back and Just accepted whatever was happening next.

Getting in the ambulance, I heard my name and saw she beaming smile of Mike T with a big thumbs up for the aeronautical display I had just delivered

At that point I retired. No more racing. Track days only. Risks too high.

Sum of injuries are 3 broken meta tarsels right foot, sprained or slightly torn ligament left knee, few stiches in my arm, can't lift or bear weight with my right arm as my neck and shoulder is so stiff, right thumb looks like one of Ghosts not mine

At this point I'm hoping the sprain isn't severe, the cast will be off in a few weeks and a set of Daynona boots will keep everything in place for Cadwell

Massive thanks to Nick Boustead for not only sorting everything out at the track and driving me, but the moral and physical (which we will never speak of agan!) support he gave me. Also Roy & Sandra for their personal support and keeping Nicola up the speed and Phil and Liz for the concern and helping keep me level headed

At times like these you find out who your friends are. And to those friends I offer my eternal thanks for their concern and texts

Onward and upward and away
Old 05-Jun-2012, 14:29
888 at Last !!!

Smile

Nice write up Paul.
Get well soon...Chin up.

Clint.
Old 05-Jun-2012, 14:50
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 848 and 583 dd race bike

GWS buddy, only down the road if you need help getting bike ready for cadwell lol
Old 05-Jun-2012, 15:29
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Wow GWS sir. Peels quick not a place for a highside happy ending.
Old 05-Jun-2012, 15:33
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Dammm where was the camera of doom when you needed it.
GWS buddy.

Craig
Old 05-Jun-2012, 15:44
500SD

Mood: ready to race
You were going well paul you certanly on it when i cam round peel behind ghosty we had to swurve around debery yude left on the track and you were laying face down beating the grass you looked in a lot of pain , we guessed it had been a big one . GWS m8
Old 05-Jun-2012, 16:33
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Good write up Paul, but those injuries are going to be a tad uncomfortable for a while. Has Senna got fat fingers. Bugger he deleted the triple post. LOL
Old 05-Jun-2012, 17:02
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
It's nicky you should all have the sympathy for, she's got to look after him! Mind you she looked good in the nurses uniform today when we were there

Hants - Meet Popham Airfield every 2nd Sunday of the Month @ 1pm

Ducati Snells of Alton : >>
848 Corse SE Evoluzione 2 : >>
Dementor Site :>>
Sponsor of DD Riders
Old 05-Jun-2012, 17:58
Big Twin
Bikes: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
At that point I retired. No more racing. Track days only. Risks too high.
Exactly how I felt after being taken out at Pembrey. Racing is brilliant fun until the thought enters your head that your life is genuinely at risk (especially when it isn't your fault). TBH, trackdays have just as many nutjobs throwing their bikes down the track at you.

Sounds like a bit of a bad weekend at the races. Hope everyone recovers well.
Old 05-Jun-2012, 20:13
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 848 and 583 dd race bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
Sounds like a bit of a bad weekend at the races. Hope everyone recovers well.

Yeah dont think it was a good weekend for all dd'ers, gws all