Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Dec-2006, 20:09
Mille

First Ride, the verdict!

Hi All, was going to pick up the 1098s yesterday but it ended up being today.

I've just had an 05 999s from new for the last 18 months, did 6500 miles in the Uk and Europe, track days etc and rode it pretty hard. Loved the bike, it was my third Ducati, however I have to admit I had a short fling with an 05 GSXR600.

So my expectations of the 1098s were just that I wanted a faster lighter bike. I rode a GSXR1000 before getting the 999 and loved the 'rip your arms off' power and lightness but thought it was a bit flighty and I much prefer the predicatable power delivery of a twin and the stability.

So what's the verdict? 100% absolutely amazing, better than I expected. I've only just done 70 miles on great roads but mediocre conditions and the bike is nothing short of breathtaking. One of the most impressive things is the quality, the gearshift and engine are so silky smooth, dare I say almost japanese! The whole bike is so well finished and feels so well put together. Next the performance: i'm running it in but took it up to a sensible level, the power delivery is awesome and there is a noticable surge from around 5-6000rpm and it has that 'rip your arms' off feel, god help me when it's run in and the weather is good!

Position is great (i'm 5ft8), I thought i'd miss all the adjustability of my 999 but it seems more comfy, slightly shorter. I think they could make the bars a tad higher but i'm sure on the track it's going to be perfect. I also had so many layers on to keep warm that I probably wasn't that able be as flexible as normal. The screen is very low though, I think most people will opt for a taller screen, it does bugger all, like the mirrors.

It really feels like a japanese 600 in it's flickability, way more sensitive to change of direction over the 999, it makes the 999 feel heavy and unresponsive. For the record though I still prefer the innovative look of the 999.

Brakes are supposed to be amazing but as some of the roads were damp I was using the engine more than the calpers to control the speed so couldn't give an opinion. The rear brake actually works though, surely a reveleation for Ducati

All in, an amazing bike, can't wait until it's a bit warmer, less damp, run in and with the termis fitted.

Any criticism? Yes, the screen, mirrors and upper fairing supports wobble a lot more than on my 999 due to the fact that there is less material there. Not really a problem but I might put an aluminium spine between the fairing and brace to stiffen it up. I also think the swigarm should be painted black.

Big thanks to Motorapido who went out of thier way to get the bikes on the road including sending staff on a 200 mile round trip to get the tax discs sorted. Thanks Wilf, Chris and Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02121.JPG (82.2 KB, 267 views)
Old 23-Dec-2006, 20:59
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Nice write up - enjoy!!!
Old 23-Dec-2006, 22:23
Big Twin

You lucky devil
Old 23-Dec-2006, 23:52
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
jealous
Old 24-Dec-2006, 00:20
Big Twin

Mood: 748ish
You lucky lucky begger!
Old 24-Dec-2006, 01:04
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossa
I also think the swigarm should be painted black.

Dallas made the same comment when we were looking at the one in Ducati Aylesbury earlier today.
Hopefully we will pop down and see Steve and Wilf in a couple of weeks around the time of the Oxon/Berks Monthly meet

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 24-Dec-2006, 07:55
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Nice one,...keep those reports coming.
Old 24-Dec-2006, 10:49
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Ditto to Keefy`s comment.
Old 24-Dec-2006, 11:22
Big Twin

Mood: Bike or Yacht..... tough choice on sunny day ;-)

.....am also now getting excited about the 1098 so thanks for posting your initial thoughts :-)

Red or Tricolore though ????
Old 24-Dec-2006, 12:10
Mille

Mood: poon tang
enjoy.better check my loto numbers.