Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jun-2005, 08:25

im buying a 2001 748 and had a quiestion

Well I am in the process of buying a 2002 748 but thier was one thing that was bugging me about the bike. Im not sure if thats just how it is or if it just needs to be repaired, but whenerver you hold the clutch down i hear a high pitch noise. the guy has some type of clutch cover, and said that was the reason but i wanna know what you guys think
Old 22-Jun-2005, 08:47
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
weolcome abouard!!

Have you heard another one to check it against? There is a bit of 'they all do that' when it comes to clutch noise so best to gauge against another if you can..........sure someone technical will be along in a bit with info
Old 22-Jun-2005, 09:20
Ducati Corse

If anything the noise should reduce when you pull the lever in. My guess would be a siezed release bearing. Cheap to fix.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 12:11
500SD

Welcome

Where are you? you may find someone local on here to compare the proposed bike with.
Old 22-Jun-2005, 15:03
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello

I was just going to say the same as m1keyp, I have a 748 with a 2001 engine if you are not to far away would be happy for you to compare, engine noise.

Would help the guys on here if you posted your location, and maybe a little more information, so somebody could help you out.

Good luck

regards

TopiToo
Old 23-Jun-2005, 01:58

Sounds like a vented clutch cover, which would not make any difference to the noise. Clutch plates are £110 approx, slave cylinder is £65 I think, clutch basket a lot dearer.
Old 23-Jun-2005, 09:49

I was just wondering if the cover has been fitted incorrectly. So when the clutch is operated, the pressure plate moves outward and hits the cover.
Old 23-Jun-2005, 09:58
888 at Last !!!

Welcome to DSC.

Ducati clutches are notorious for being quite loud, especially when they are older. You should notice a marked decrease in the clutch noise when the lever is pulled in (disengaging clutch). If it's the other way round there are a number of inexpensive and expensive reasons for this. One obvious reason could be, as already mentioned, an aftermarket clutch cover is incorrectly fitted. Get a standard one, put it on (5 mins work) and then try again.
Old 23-Jun-2005, 09:59
888 at Last !!!

or just take the cover off
Old 23-Jun-2005, 10:56
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Lily had a carbon cover which was too shallow and when as you suggested pulled the clutch lever in, the pressure plate hit the cover causing all sorts of grinding/graunching noises, simple fix was to put spacers on the mounting points to move the cover out by a few mil, which also aided dust removal and cooled it slightly also.