Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Dec-2005, 20:30
Montjuic

It all sounds fishy to me.
Send me the reg number I'll have a look to see what its registered as.

If he's reluctant to give you the reg then walk away.
Old 19-Dec-2005, 20:57
Mille

Mood: GETTING RIGHT OFF!!!
okay, just waiting for the reg number now by sms...
Old 20-Dec-2005, 09:14
Bevel Head

I'd be happy to take a look for you Paulo as i live reasonably close.

In fact i drove through Wombourne yesterday.

Also i think you will have problems getting the cans to fit. Carb and IE models are different.

May be interested to buy them off you though.

Let me know if you want a hand looking at the bike.

Sent you a U2U message with my number
Old 20-Dec-2005, 22:39
Montjuic

Service History!!!!

make sure the belts have been changed recently (within 2 years) by seeing a receipt with the reg number on. If this hasn't been done, you will have to do it straight away and that could be anywhere between £300 and £400.

Not to mention if it has been driven too long without a change, long term damage may have been done.

Make sure the bike is cold when you start it up. If its a bit smokey, make sure it clears after it warms up. If it stays smokey (blue smoke) the shims may be shot.

That pic definitely only has one caliper on it, as the small red cover is still visible, and only one brake hose.

If you have any doubts, follow your head and not your heart and walk away!!
Old 21-Dec-2005, 00:24
Mille

Im all nervous now about going to see it! youve put so much doubt in my head I dont think im gonna sleep tonight!
So...

1. ask for service history. I did ask but he said, im pretty sure he did, that he didnt have any...

2. make sure its cold on start up and look for smoke. a bit of blue when it starts is acceptable, but it if it smokes when warmed up- is that the shim problem or the piston rings?

Im a pretty competant DIY mechanic and can see me doing the belts straight away, but Im just so wound up by all this now!! either the guy is genuinely selling his bike, or hes bought it, realised the belts are gone and done some damage and is selling it on pronto!!

What is the best way to tell if the engine needs work? is it all in the start up/smoke test??

paul
thanks for all the help guys!
Old 21-Dec-2005, 10:02
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally posted by chippyrock
Service History!!!!

make sure the belts have been changed recently (within 2 years) by seeing a receipt with the reg number on. If this hasn't been done, you will have to do it straight away and that could be anywhere between £300 and £400.

Not to mention if it has been driven too long without a change, long term damage may have been done.

Make sure the bike is cold when you start it up. If its a bit smokey, make sure it clears after it warms up. If it stays smokey (blue smoke) the shims may be shot.
Service history is always a good thing to have.
Belts only cost around £30 the pair and take about 1/2 an hour to fit. Even a dealer shouldn't charge much for this. Not changing them won't do any damage - until they break!
If the bike runs smokey it is because of worn rings or worn valve stem seals. Rings are expensive, seals aren't but both need a strip down to replace so avoid it anyway.
Shims don't wear out but as the valves seats wear the clearances will alter. Too tight can damage the cams and/or rockers. Too loose will rattle and can also cause damage.
If the bike has some evidence of servicing and when the shims were last done, doesn't burn oil and doesn't rattle it is probably OK. The 2V engines are pretty bullet proof but if you have any doubt about any of these things look elsewhere.
Old 21-Dec-2005, 11:09
Mille

Derek, you've made me feel a bit better now! thanks for all the help guys, I wouldnt know where to start with these bikes. Ive had pretty much 2-strokes all my biking life so Im a bit stupid when it comes to these "new" 4 strokes things...

So if it doesnt smoke/rattle, its okay, but change the belts asap??

thanks
again guys!

Oh, heres my rgv250 with Sugaya race pipes... goes like a scalded cat!!

Old 21-Dec-2005, 13:20
Mille

just been sent some new pictures!
as you can see, it is missing the front caliper