Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-May-2004, 21:27
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Carby 900ss - DIY hi-rise bars etc.

Almost a full day yesterday and even managed a bit today in prep for Cadwell and hopefully the rest of the year......

So....M&P accessories sell a hi-rise conversion that I reckoned would work on my bike - but I was not 100% sure - time to use the 'suck-it-and-see' formula.

I think its gonna work out OK.....the only slight problem is that the bottom clamp onto the fork top is deeper than I thought. Which means I've had to drop the forks further through the clamps than I indended from my calculated standard of 21mm to 25mm. The handle bar position is only about 1" higher and 1" further back but combined with all the other mods - I'm starting to get worried on the handling effects........time will tell !!!!

Continues on other posts here.....
Old 02-May-2004, 21:28
WSB Hero

I'll post more details on these if it all works out....
Old 02-May-2004, 21:29
WSB Hero

Marchi is now fitted as well...........

Old 02-May-2004, 21:31
WSB Hero

Finally the TOBY steering damper

That was a bit of a swine to fit....time for a test ride........
Old 02-May-2004, 22:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Nice ones Frank, really like that front wheel and you can't go far wrong with a Toby damper, got a couple of them here, one of which is a full Titanium jobbie.
As for the bars and dropping the forks through the yokes, just wind those preload adjusters in as all they really are are rideheight adjusters, anybody that thinks they alter spring rate is very mistaken.
Old 02-May-2004, 23:16
WSB Hero

Cheers Kev,

Just finally finished tonight and can (hopefully) settle down and watch the MotoGP....

Forks are going to be most interesting for me I must say as I've just had them rebuilt by a guy who does BSB work

Hope I can squeeze a ride in tomorrow !!!
Old 03-May-2004, 09:29
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but I'd have some concerns about those "clip-ons". The clamps were designed to be used with a one piece bar, that is two clamps are connected with a single bar, ala monster. The narrow clamping area for the clip-on bar coupled with the bend in the clip-on bar wouldn't give me enough confidence to ride this setup. Just remember there is nothing more important on your bike then handle bars that stay in place.

As I said, maybe I am paranoid and this setup has been well tested.
Old 03-May-2004, 09:39
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
Hi-rise bars Frank, is that old age I see creeping in??
(I'm with Felix regarding the clamping arrangement though, with a single bar as on your bike, I would have thought a wider clamp with two pinch bolts would be much more secure, be careful over the Mountain )

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by ducv2]
Old 03-May-2004, 12:54
WSB Hero

Hmmmm....thanks for the concern guys, I'd had thought of this during the installation even though the catalogue does not show any setup at all.

I've just been able to get away with this installation even though my Brake and Clutch cables were changed for braided ones by a previous owner and I'm sure they are slightly longer than std.

Any other mods e.g. straight / 'streetfighter' bars or Lucas type raiser kits would need ALL the cables lenghtening and would be quite a bit more time-consuming.

YES Old age is creeping in, my back certainly thinks so !!!

I dont have any doubts on the install - the clamps are really solid (well....would 50mm be anything else!) and the Renntec bars I deliberately went for have a 4mm wall thickness.

The only thing I would of liked would be been to be able to fit nyloc nuts on the vertical bolts - but the way the edge has been chamfered prevents this.

At least I can go back to standard if it does not offer a stable setup, which I probably would do rather than go to a yoke kit as I prefer the Clip-on type look.

Cheers - Frank
Old 03-May-2004, 18:11
WSB Hero

Just managed to squueze in 50 miles and she feels GREAT

Like an armchair compaired to previously.

The steering is VERY light so I gotta get out and do some milage before Cadwell

Even though our rotten weather rained twice on me (why does there always seem to be a cloud over Teeside these days).....