Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 04-Jul-2011, 10:48
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Fancy a go at racing?

A new club racing category is coming for next year that might interest a few folks that have considered DD but fancy a bigger bike but still not so expensive....

Golden Era Superbikes
The year 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of the Honda Fireblade, the bike that arguably signalled the beginning of the end for true 750cc Superbikes. Do you remember back when the sharpest blade in the box was a Yamaha YZF750, a Kawasaki ZX7RR, Suzuki GSXR750 SRAD, a Honda RC45 or even a beautiful little Ducati 916?

None of those bikes were particularly good road bikes, but when you stripped all the clunky and ugly road bike detritus off of them and they stood there in their race prepped glory, just waiting to be spanked around the race track, their true purpose was revealed. At world level they were seemingly ridden by a highly talented and committed bunch of axe wielding maniacs and the racing was simply fantastic. Marco Simoncelli would have looked like a girl scout compared to that lot and the appeal of Superbikes was infectious and spread far beyond motorcycle fans. Indeed it was the very popularity of Superbike racing in the 1990s that brought about the ‘born again biker’ phenomenon. In the UK market Grand Prix were in decline with a low point of just 6 works bikes on the premier class grid and a crowd figure reputed to be less than 10,000 for the British Grand Prix. Superbike racing was where it was at and the crowds flocked to both Donington Park and Brands Hatch to watch Scott Russell, Giancarlo Fallapa, Yasutomo Nagai, Colin Edwards, Aaron Slight, Carl Fogarty, Anthony Gobert and a host of other riders who didn’t complain about a bit of fairing bashing, they actually expected it!......and so did the fans.

Traction control?........ No. Fancy electronics? Er…… No. Great racing? .........YES

Watching some old footage from Hockenheim in 1995 got me thinking about what had happened to all of those fantastic bikes and all of the others that were ridden at around the same time from clubmans events at Darley Moor & Lydden Hill, through nationals at Brands Hatch & Donington Park to international meetings like Daytona (back when it was a real Superbike race). A few calls and e-mails later gave me the answer, they’re still out there but there isn’t seen to be a dedicated and attractive race series that they can be competitive in. Due to this, the bikes are very underpriced for what they are. A quick google and ebay foray found no less than 7 Kawasaki ZX7Rs, 5 Suzuki GSXR750SRADs and a smattering of other suitable bikes all for under £2000. The Hondas and Ducatis were more expensive, but then again they were at the time and I found one lovely 996R Ducati that still gave enough change from £5,000 to buy a decent set of tyre warmers. For me this looked like just the thing I’d been looking for, a budget priced championship where the bikes looked anything but budget. The only thing needed was a simple set of rules that would be designed to keep the costs controllable and allow in specific bike models and years that fitted the spirit and ethos of the class.

“Golden Era Superbikes” will run from the start of the 2012 season within the Thundersport GB Championships running to pretty much the old WSB formula of 750cc 4 cylinder bikes and up to 1000cc twins & triples with a few tweeks to help keep it cost effective. To simplify it a model list of eligible motorcycles will be issued to include all of the following machines:-

Ducati 888 all models (926 & 955 kit permitted)
Kawasaki ZXR750 all model years (840 kit permitted)
Yamaha OW01 all model years (840 kit permitted)
Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD all model years
Honda RC30 all model years (810cc kit permitted)
Kawasaki ZX7R and RR all model years
Yamaha YZF 750 all model years
Yamaha OW02 R7 both model years
Honda RC45 all model years
Ducati 916 all model years
Ducati 996 all model years inc 996R
Aprilia RSV Mille & Mille R up to 2003
Suzuki TL1000S & TL1000R up to 2003
Honda VTR 1000 SP1
Triumph T595 up to 2001
MV Augusta F4 750 Oro & S models to 2002

The regulations will be “Open Class” with no tuning restrictions, but restricted to parts that were available before 2003 (except tyres). Interchanging parts between compatible models will be allowed as will any suspension and any wheels. Period engined specials will be catered for on a case by case basis with a view to accepting models that fit in with both the time period and the spirit of the rules (NR750 oval pistoned bikes need not apply).

If you’ve got one of these bikes and you want to race it, or if you just want to know a bit more about it, contact me on jamiestewart9@googlemail.com or give us a ring in the office 01455 842600
Old 04-Jul-2011, 13:08
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Wow, that's just like SoT when I started racing.

Still expensive though to get a competitive bike on the grid - just like it was back in the day!

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 04-Jul-2011, 13:38
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Thumbs up

Nice! I'll be keeping my eye on this one as I reckon it would be great for spectators!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 04-Jul-2011, 14:54
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Damn, now that gives me a reason to buy two RC30's...
Old 04-Jul-2011, 19:23
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
What, No 998BP of 998S yet the 996R is in hopefully they would be included in a updated list

The only bike I can't recall racing against in that list was the MV, but we did get a Benelli triple turn up for SoT

and several bikes I did race myself, including TL1000S, 916 Strada and a horrible SRAD. Also had several Blades but they're not on the list

Based on the list I'd either go for the TL again as it was both a laugh and very scarey or either an Aprilia or the ZXR, preferably a 750M version

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook

Last edited by skidlids : 04-Jul-2011 at 23:31.
Old 04-Jul-2011, 21:45
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
What, No 998BP of 998S yet the 996R is in

Must admit that was my first thought.
Old 05-Jul-2011, 12:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
The potential to get some pretty exotic old school superbikes on the grid.

If the cutoff date is 2003 then the 998 should be in.

Used to enjoy seeing a mate or two race their ex factory bikes in SOT.

Bit of a big step up from DD IMHO. 60 BHP asmatic V twin to 180bhp plus tyre smoker.

It'll be interesting to see who and what gets lured out of the garden shed.

Ray.
Old 05-Jul-2011, 12:37
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
My little 853r could get a run out in that series maybe
Old 06-Jul-2011, 08:48
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Can get very expensive for some of those to reach their full potential. Check out Stephen's RC45 seen here on PB - and check out the dyno graph - not bad for a 750 eh ? problem is after around 60k spent there is not much more you can do.

http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26502&st=20
Old 06-Jul-2011, 09:54
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
wont this just be easy to 'buy' the championship? Ex WSB bike or similar, as used to be seen in SoT when I was following skids, not really a fair 'fight' with a ZXR750 or 916 bip....be like a DD bike racing R6s

love the idea though, would be nice to be able to piuck up an old bike which would be competitive in a faster class

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit