Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jul-2005, 19:41
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Cam belts

If you're not sure how long it was since a bike last had the belts changed, is there anyway to tell its state? Or do you just have to replace it to be safe?

To replace them is it a simple case of one of one on or is there a form of setting up required?
Old 12-Jul-2005, 19:53
Mille

Mood: what a day, a year, a life it's been
As someone who has suffered cam belt failure, I'd suggest changing them if in doubt. A set of cam belts is cheaper than an engine rebuild.

Fairly easy to change them, provided you have a decent set of tools and don't turn over the engine when a belt is off.........

All sorts of posts here about how to do it and how tight to make them. If in doubt leave them a tad loose. You will be amazed how much they tighten up when hot.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 22:58
500SD

I've had the bike for about 2 weeks now, I bought it from a non Ducati dealership.

The service history lists my local Ducati dealership as servicing it at 6K in September last year and I bought the bike at 6,700.

I went to the Ducati dealership to enquire into its history but they said they wouldn't know what had been done at that time as they would only do what the customer requested??

Now what I'm wondering is should I be able to expect the dealership I bought it from to honour a check/swap of the belts (which they would probably want to do themselves)? Or should this Ducati dealership be able to provide me the information I require even though they've not been able to?

Or do you think that its down to me to just pay for it to be done?

I don't really want to have to pay for this work as I've only just got the bike.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 23:06
Dibble

dealership should have a copy invoice detailing the work, how old is the bike ?? the dealers tend to stick to the 2yr / 12k intervals for belts .... i get em changed each year ....

who are the dealership claiming they cant help ??
Old 12-Jul-2005, 23:09
Big Twin

If in doubt, swap 'em out

It's not worth the hassle of them going snap.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 23:10
500SD

The bike is a 2001 748E, it was bought with 6,700 miles on the clock, it is currently now at about 7,300 miles (amazing what nice weather does to your mileage!!).

I won't name and shame but lets just say I live on the Isle of Man and there is only one Ducati dealership over here.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 23:16
Dibble

ok, well in that case in 2005 regardless of mileage thats its 4the service so should have ad belts on the alternate year rule.

get back onto them or get onto DUK.

the dealer has detailed records and if you have the service book you'll have the date the service took place, just tell them you want a copy invoice.

even if the invoice isnt detailed it will state whether it had a 6k or 12k service ... if it says 12 then the belts should have been done.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 23:31
500SD

OK, just going through the service book now.

Its had its first service at the Ducati dealership at 617 miles on 03/04/01, then its had a service at 5467 miles on 21/04/02 at the dealership I bought it from (they deal in Italian bikes other than Ducati, for example, Aprillia, MV, Moto Guzzi etc, the owner also used to work for the Ducati dealership as a salesman prior to starting this business).

Next service was at 6335 miles on 12/10/04 at the Ducati dealership (the owner section is filled in as them?? According to the owner record they owned it in May 01 presumably as a trade in, the next owner after them is recorded in November 04, so it wasn't serviced for the next owner unless it took them a few months to transfer ownership.

So I'm now thinking there won't be an invoice if they've serviced it for themselves.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 23:36
Dibble

ok

600 mile doesnt count
5467 miles = service 1 - no belts
6335 miles = service 3 - the bikes missed its 03 service which should deffo be belts.

Personally tell them you want the belts done, do a 50/50 deal, offer to pay for the belts (about 50 quid) if they pay the labour.
Old 13-Jul-2005, 00:15
500SD

The Ducati dealer did not sell the bike to me though, so I would need to have the dealer I bought it off cover the labour charges?