Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 04-Nov-2009, 08:50
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco572
thats not a practical solution as we are i assume looking for a sponsorship deal from either or any manufacturer based on a sole use policy?????

Ultimately the priority must be to have the best, safest, most suitable, appropriate wear characteristics, etc tyre available for the type of use to which the series is going to be put them. It is ulitimately the only piece of contact between the rider and the tarmac (ok except when they fall off!). Any "sponsorship" deal is a secondary consideration, from the point of view that I am sure there are many suppliers of product (not restricting these comments to tyres) who will offer wonderfull deals to push their products, regardless of suitability - that should not be an overriding consideration.

In discussions with various tyre manaufacturers the fact that this is a 50/60bhp series and we run at both ends of the year (read cold) the warming up period is important for safety - the existing Diablo has proven consistantly to be more than up to the job. Again everyone that we have talked to over the years has advised that if we were running over the 90hp mark, we should be allowing wets - for safety- but we are not in that position.

Whilst price does have a bearing, I am sure we could go to Super Corsa, intermediates and wets to get a massive tyre bill for the year, one needs to be realistic. We wouldn't be racing on the cheapest fitment we could find and by the same token dont need to go to the opposite extreme.

The RC has answers to most of the information that it needs and the final bits are expected this week, so a decision is immenant.
Old 04-Nov-2009, 09:08
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Duke
I ment to say........ missed the boat on the maxxis deal!

Thanks for the update Chris

So what tyres are we using for 2010 ?
I need new tyres for my DD bike ?

I perhaps understand what you mean now, having received a couple of e-mails when I opened up the system this morning.

An idea to run two classes with 80 & 110 bhp and little or no other rules and on Maxxis tyres. Just a quick review of what has been forwarded would indicate that to be competitive might require a money pit of expense to keep at the front of the series.

So I might want a 749R - say £6K, followed by proper Ohlins (dont know the model numbers), best Brembo radial brakes, nemisis ECU with a couple of maps on it, full engine strip and prep at JHP, full exhaust system (£2K), and the list goes on. A quick add up on a piece of paper has me north of at least £12K, more like £15K - before you start racing.

We already know that you could dyno that bike at any time you want and it would make no more than 110bhp at the rear wheel. To sucessfully protest you would have to prove use of another map, etc - which is impossible.

As I beleive AK and others have pointed out they appear to be looking at bikes that are at least 8 years old (if one ignores the 749) and that to reach the HP limits you are going to have to do engine work, etc (my carbed 900SS wouldn't make over 70hp at the rear wheel without engine work and a std 748 is about 90bhp at the rear wheel - you aren't going to get 20hp with a chip and exhaust).

There are also existing grids for such bikes within race Clubs, ok maybe not Ducati only, but to find 30 people willing to commit to such an idea and then put their money down could well be a tall order.

Desmo Due has so many rules, so that you cant just spend money, much like the Superstock rules - to keep basic cost of bike preparation down. If we opened them up to just an HP limit as a means of control, the options for spending money would be un-bounded.

Chris
Old 04-Nov-2009, 11:16
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Most people like pancakes.
Flour, eggs, milk.
Simple.
Everyone should eat pancakes, and have a great time.
Long live the pancake.
Old 04-Nov-2009, 14:26
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wood
Flour, eggs, milk.
Simple.
Long live the pancake.

I have sourced some eggs which may be cheaper and make a better pancake.

I have the flour, milk, eggs, a heated pan and things are cooking nicely on one side. I just need a t0sser.............

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 04-Nov-2009, 14:38
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
I have the flour, milk, eggs, a heated pan and things are cooking nicely on one side. I just need a t0sser.............

Quite a few of them about, it seems...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 04-Nov-2009, 16:47
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Quite a few of them about, it seems...

Considerably more than a few, I would wager.
Old 04-Nov-2009, 17:21
GTL

Mood: Been Testing the 3 P's (Pizza, Pasta, & PERONI!)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
I have sourced some eggs which may be cheaper and make a better pancake.

Now exactly how do you get a "batter(ee)" into a t0ster...???? LOL !
Old 04-Nov-2009, 17:24
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wood
Flour, eggs, milk.
Simple.
Long live the pancake.

I know a better pancake recipe than that...........!
Old 04-Nov-2009, 20:33
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC Racing
I know a better pancake recipe than that...........!

Itisch good, yah?
Old 14-Nov-2009, 22:14

Please read my simple requests

Would like to see a more wildly available tyre and limiting power and torque not just engine mods. The weigh issue is a big one, I raced this year at 180kg plus body weight, would be nice to combine rider/bike; however enforcement I see as a very difficult challenge (one for the organisers).

Would also like to see split starts, nothing worse as a class B racer is to be held up by a slower class A who is quicker off the line. No lack of respect meant here but fact is that Class A’s are quicker down the straights, especially frustrating when your split between these bikes