Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Oct-2005, 11:21
Big Twin

Bike won\'t fire up?!?!

Recently I removed the P8 unit from my 916SP to see what kind of chip it has installed. 5 minute job, and all back together again.

Now the bike won't start! It turns ove fine, and the fuel pump primes etc...just appears to be no spark.

What have I done

In the dreaded haynes manual, it states that the power module relays on early model 916's have internal fuses...I'm wandering if I have blown these somehow when removing/installing the unit? Where are the fuses on/in/around these relays? I can't seem to find them!

There is one fuse that is part of the wiring loom near them (which is not blown)...is that it?

Any ideas?
Old 21-Oct-2005, 11:56
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I would say your main culprit is likely to be electrical connectors. If you disconnected the P8 are you sure that all the connectors are grot free and making contact once you reconnected them?

Are they the right way round (I know that they're keyed but I have seen mistakes made on computer systems where 'keyed' connectors are out of line). Are the connectors firmly seated?

If disconnecting the P8 is all you've done and the bike was working before, this is likely to be the main culprit, but I wouldn't think you've blown anything.

It could be something co-incidental to removing the P8. Did you tug any of the wires in the loom for example. It could be another electrical connector altogether. My ST had exactly the symptoms you describe when the crankshaft position sensor stopped talking to the ECU - No sparks because the ECU didn't have any information on when to fire the plugs, or the injectors. My problem was cured by cleaning the contacts in the connector plug between the sensor and the loom.

So it may be that, you have a loss of info from one of the engine sensors either caused by the connectors at the p8 end or the sensor end

[Edited on 21-10-2005 by Jools]
Old 21-Oct-2005, 12:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
And from recolection, the ignition/fuel relays are all here too; easy to disturb as Jools said.
Old 21-Oct-2005, 14:35
Mille

Mood: Meditating
Harv did you take the chip out? or just look at it with the top of the P8 removed?
Old 21-Oct-2005, 14:43
Big Twin

Just took a quick look at the chip Gary...but I think I have sorted it now...a mixture of loose wiring and the partial removal of my quickshifter a couple of weeks ago seems to have left things a little 'iffy' on the loom front.

Now rectified!

Thanks for the help guys.