Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Oct-2006, 22:11
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
The 999 has evolved a long way from its original..........How can anyone say a 916 with that orrible frame colour and ugly 3 spoke heavy orrible wheels is anything like a 998R?

things change..........apart from the **** comments!
Old 17-Oct-2006, 22:29
Mille

Mood: Ride with me, Ground Shaking comes as standard..
Well it has been really interesting seeing the varying points of view and reasons behind why people believe/think this way.

I can honestly say i think its a bit mad, but variety being the spice of life and all, it would be boring if we all like the same thing, but i thought the "family" would be a little more close nit as it were.

I have had a few quickish cars with decent forums previously and to be honest i was expecting more of our "Ducati family" than i had experienced in the car forums, purely because it always seems to be Ducati against the rest of the world, well the Japanese Rockets i guess, but it seems the internal conflict is stronger than that against other makes. Ooo err!

Don't get me wrong i have considered a different make, i have only had two bikes in my 2 1/2 years of riding my previous being a K4 Sv650, which was a belter of a little bike, but my aspiration was always to get on the Ducati ladder and i stepped onto it as soon as possible.

i don't forsee myself leaving it through choice any time soon. I didn't expect to be scoffed at by other owners though, which how it seems having read a lot of this.

I guess it may be comparable to Porsche owners, (of which i have limited experience) looking down their nose from the heady 911's to the Boxster or Cayman, (maybe not no offence to any Porsche owners).

Ah well, im loving my 749 guess thats all that really matters.

Take care out there y'all!
Old 17-Oct-2006, 23:09
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
Ah well, im loving my 749 guess thats all that really matters.

Precisely mate. I've had mine nearly 4 years & still love it. In that time, I'd say nearly all the negative comments I've heard/seen have come from Ducati owners (mostly on this forum). Outside of dsc, the positive comments far out weigh the negative though.
I was at Brands BSB the other day & when I was riding out of one of the muddy fields I was stopped for a photo!! Not by some kid either, he was a ' proper geezer ' in his late twenties! Took me by surprise a bit as he looked more of latest/lightest/fastest fan.

Don't worry about what other people think of it, just enjoy it
Old 18-Oct-2006, 07:05
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
It,s not that I hate the 749/999 series, it is just that I love the uncluttered, minimalisticness of the 748/9** series, the single swinger, the curves rather than the sharp edges of the new series etc. I guess if I sold my 748 & bought a 749 I would grow to love it as much, & yes I have done quite a few miles on a 749 but still prefer that solid feel of the 748

Chris.
Old 18-Oct-2006, 08:42
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogalman
They are all great, just that the 916 was iconic.

...and with that bike ducati did something that would always be hard to folllow - the 749/999 is a much better bike to ride - on the design/aesthetics front it was let down - in my opinion by small details, but overall was good looking. if they made subtle changes they could make a good bike look great. for example they ommitted the top fairing vents in '05 which was good and if they smoothed out the headlight (to look like the multistrada) and kicked the side fairing join line at an angle to run into the fairing this would help too. the seat unit and rest of it are great - the detail maybe not quite.
Old 08-Nov-2006, 20:23

Hehe! This thread's really made me chuckle....... I got a "Dyed in the wool" mate who has a 748 who, when I told him I was buying a 750ss, said that he didn't like them. Down in Spain he took a ride on her and decided she was great! I just replaced her with a 749 and he tells me he doesn't like them and prefers the 750ss.........( touch of the "little britains") Go figure? When I asked him what he doesn't like about the 749 he tells me "the double sided swing arm". Jeeeeeezus H!!! He hasn't ridden her yet but already he doesn't like her cos she has a double sided swingin arm! I give up!
Old 09-Nov-2006, 09:06
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
The whole point of all this is the PASSION that's what makes us Ducati fans-and bores-and it's that which makes us argue over which version is best, if we weren't passionate about the brand we wouldn't be arguing.

As for me, I own an ST4S-which nobody could say is the most attractive bike-I think they are bland to be honest, but it's an incredibly effective road bike, and it's no slouch round a track either. I also have a 1000ss twinspark which I have only ridden 30 miles on but which impressed me with both it's engine and chassis-should be a belter once I have finished it. I have owned a 900SS and a 996, both great bikes, the 996 was wonderful round a track-even if it did lead me into 2 broken wrist's. I have ridden both 999, and 749 on road and track and like them both, I have also done a lot of miles on Multistrada's both standard and 'S' Ohlins versions and think they are fantastic road bikes, just SO sure footed.
You pays your money and takes your choice.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 09-Nov-2006, 18:20
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
[quote=beancounter and I quite like Keefy's 999S [/quote]
How do you know what it looks like?
This is the only view you ever get of it!
{--------------------
Old 09-Nov-2006, 19:17
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefyB
How do you know what it looks like?
This is the only view you ever get of it!
{--------------------

Self-confessed BHCN division 2, as I think you well know Keith...

Thanks

BC
Old 09-Nov-2006, 20:57
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by beancounter
Self-confessed BHCN division 2, as I think you well know Keith...

Thanks

BC
Dont you mean outer echelon!?
Hey,I'm only jestin'............