Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Aug-2004, 16:53
Bevel Head

Mood: Grumpy 'Old' Man!
Phillips Blue Vision Bulbs

http://www.highriders.co.uk/catalog/...ion_Bulbs.html

Does anyone know if these will work, fit, etc...in an old 900 SS (pre-97)?

Thanks for enlightening me!
Old 23-Aug-2004, 22:42
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hmmmm, interesting one Migs....I looked at these Philips bulbs when I was working my way through all the bulbs after first getting my baby.

I decided against them as I've noticed the glare that comes off some cars with them fitted (I find the tint VERY distracting - but maybe that would be a good thing on a bike ???)

I went for the standard halogen bulb and must admit in the two times Ive ridden in the dark so far I've been disappointed with the performance of the standard 'square' headlight.

Maybe the tinted or a high output bulb (100W hee hee) might be the way to go - let us know how it works out please.

BTW - someone on Ebay sold a 93 SS like mine with the headlight fitted from a Yamaha Xj900 and claimed it was a better headlight - we never did get to the bottom of that nugget mind....

Good luck - Frank
Old 23-Aug-2004, 22:43
WSB Hero

ooops sorry yes - there is a bulb that fits - its a standard H4 fitment that comes in many car accessory bulb kits (like us cheapies buy at Tescos) - lol
Old 23-Aug-2004, 23:27
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Auto Expressdid a test on various bulbs including the Philips.
The top rated one was the Osram Silverstar with the Halfords 30% & 50% brighter Xenon ones coming close behind.
I have the Halfords ones in the ST, one of each cause they don't do the 50% in one of the fitments - I forget which one.
They give a good beam allowing 100 + on my way home from work at night along a B road ( private test stretch of course )
Well worth it and no gimmicky colours.
Andy
Old 24-Aug-2004, 00:34

I have always been a bit of an anorak about lights, it stems from my rallying days.
The blue tinge seen on car headlights stems from xenon type bulbs which work by striking a high voltage arc a bit like an arc welder. Conventional bulbs obviously heat a filament which becomes incandesent. Because the arc takes time to come up to maximum brightness ie about 7 seconds on the Hella system it is only used on the dip beam where it stays on with main as well. The Piaa system is superior but still takes 2 - 3 seconds. Consequently this expensive system only enhances dip beam on current automotive applications!
All other "blue" bulbs are achieved by coating a halogen bulb with blue paint or similar and cannot actually enhance the performance.
Most manufacturers will fit cheap bulbs as you can imagine. To improve lamp performance get some good quality bulbs. Piaa market bulbs at around £70 each from memory (we have them at work if anyone is interested) but I have only used them in cars. The results are literally brilliant.
Old 24-Aug-2004, 11:09
WSB Hero

I do wonder about the life of these expensive bulbs though - I dont run my bike with dipped beam anymore except when I think the conditions merit - however, for those that run dip all the time - would the bulbs last significantly less ???

Cheers - Frank
Old 24-Aug-2004, 11:28
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...blue/blue.html raises some interesting points about "Blue bulbs".
Old 24-Aug-2004, 17:39
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

I ran a PIAA superwhite something or other last year. I'm embarrassed to say how much it cost and although the blue/white light is brighter your eyes are less sensitive to that colour so you actually don't see so well - but everyone else gets dazzled! Even worse,it only lasted about 5 months which is about 5,000 miles for me.
Best solution was to fit 2 relays (one for main and one for dip) and a Philips 50% brighter bulb.
Old 24-Aug-2004, 17:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ have got the Osram Silverstar +50% bulbs in H4 for £19.

Bit pricey but probably worth a go for that sort of money. I think I'll try one in autumn (who am I kidding, it is autumn...).

Cheers,

Ali
Old 25-Aug-2004, 12:27
Montjuic

Mood: Cleaning the Weather OFF!
nice read:

Let's start with a normal electric light bulb like you see in any normal household lamp. A normal light bulb is made up of a fairly large, thin, frosted glass envelope. Inside the glass is a gas such as argon and/or nitrogen. At the center of the lamp is a tungsten filament. Electricity heats this filament up to about 4,500 degrees F (2,500 degrees Celsius). Just like any hot metal, the tungsten gets "white hot" at that heat and emits a great deal of visible light in a process called incandescence. See How Gas Lanterns Work for more information on incandescence.
A normal light bulb is not very efficient, and it only lasts about 750 to 1,000 hours in normal use. It's not very efficient because, in the process of radiating light, it also radiates a huge amount of infrared heat -- far more heat than light. Since the purpose of a light bulb is to generate light, the heat is wasted energy. It doesn't last very long because the tungsten in the filament evaporates and deposits on the glass. Eventually, a thin spot in the filament causes the filament to break, and the bulb "burns out."

A halogen lamp also uses a tungsten filament, but it is encased inside a much smaller quartz envelope. Because the envelope is so close to the filament, it would melt if it were made from glass. The gas inside the envelope is also different -- it consists of a gas from the halogen group. These gases have a very interesting property: They combine with tungsten vapor! If the temperature is high enough, the halogen gas will combine with tungsten atoms as they evaporate and redeposit them on the filament. This recycling process lets the filament last a lot longer. In addition, it is now possible to run the filament hotter, meaning you get more light per unit of energy. You still get a lot of heat, though; and because the quartz envelope is so close to the filament, it is EXTREMELY hot compared to a normal light bulb.

LEDs work on a completely different principle to ordinary lamps, and it's a bit difficult to explain fully without a little delving into semiconductor physics, so here goes! Basically, electricity is made up of the flow of electrons through a conductor under the influence of an externally applied voltage, the overall flow made up of individual electrons jumping from one atom to another. In good conductors like metals, these individual jumps don't involve a lot of energy, while in insulators the electrons are very tightly bound. However, in semiconductors like silicon and germanium, individual electrons are free to move but the jumps involve much higher energy levels, dictated by a property known as the "band-gap" - it's easiest to describe this as an indication of the electrical pressure needed to dislodge electrons from the parent semiconductor atoms. This is how the term "semiconductor" originated, their electrical properties are somewhere between conductors and insulators, and for what it's worth both silicon and germanium are known as "metalloids" with both physical and chemical properties between those of metals and non-metals. In one particular family of compound semiconductor materials based on the rare metal gallium, (compounds of gallium with arsenic, indium, phosphorous, aluminium and nitrogen) the band-gap is so wide that appreciable energy is needed to make electrons jump. When each electron recombines with an atom, it emits a particle of light - a photon. These jumps take place across the junction between two regions of the semiconductor crystal - one formed with an excess of electrons (n-type), the other with a corresponding deficit (p-type). Semiconductor materials based on gallium have the useful property of being transparent, allowing the light generated to escape from the junction.

The colour of light is determined by its frequency, which in turn depends on the energy expended to generate each photon. This can be altered by slightly adjusting the band-gap of the semiconductor material and different colour LEDs are made by varying the "recipe" of elements in the semiconductor crystal. LEDs are now available covering the entire spectrum from the near infra-red (used in TV remote controls) to the newly-developed ultra-violet types. LED light is mostly monochromatic - it is made up of one single colour only.