Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Sep-2004, 22:38
Montjuic

Mood: Cleaning the Weather OFF!
2005 model line-up

So what do people think about the current Ducati line-up for 2005?

What do people think of the SS range now consisting of just the 1000DS?

Personally I think they should of kept the 620SS for the sake of newbie riders and people on a budget that want a small engined Duc without the increased cost, or that dont want a monster or superbike / multistrada / ST etc....

Ahhh and what about the MultiStrada 620? Now that's a good move... I do like it, I could never of justified the 1000DS but a 620 (HELL YES ). Work bike and tourer come super moto.:P

[Edited on 21-9-2004 by Stu]
Old 22-Sep-2004, 11:31
Montjuic

Mood: Garage is getting too small....
Reduced line-up for SS range

Whilst the 1000DS is a peach of an engine, Ducati should maintain a family of engines and the SuperSport range is an ideal framework (sic) for such products.

These engines could (and should) also be used in other bike ranges (e.g. Multistrada) and these could easily challenge the BMW F650 and others of such ilk as commuters / "every day" sport multi-FUNction bikes.

Although Ducati make wonderful hyper-sports bikes, they should not forget that they got there via the 2V air-cooled route and there's still a lot of life left in that particular arena that they should target.

Can I get off the soap-box now......?
Old 24-Sep-2004, 02:26
Montjuic

Mood: Cleaning the Weather OFF!
I don't mean this thread as a moan, just wondering what people thought, as alot of manufacturer's now are trying desperatly to fill in all and every niche market. Seems like the SS range doesn't do that anymore.
Old 24-Sep-2004, 17:12

Had a similar conversation with a mate some years back. I liked the old SS range because (a) simple (b) relatively cheap (c) utterly classic styling (lost on the injected models) and (d) they filled the "light, unthreatening sports bike" niche, like the Suzuki SV650 does now.

In other words, not much power, but every last pony was completely usable, which makes bikes like this incredibly satisfying to ride.

My 750SS has been blasted across France many, many times on uk.rec.motorcycles weekends (I may organise one for the Ducatisti next year) and while there have been occasions when I'd have liked more power, I've never, ever wanted to get rid of the bike and trade up.

Now, if Ducati took the 748 engine, detuned it a tad to lift the mid-range and left it with... I dunno, maybe 80-85bhp at the top end, and gave it a less radical riding position - in fact, the old SS riding position - with a slightly more protective fairing, then I'd definitely be interested.

I'm not interested in a Multistrada because it seems too much money for what it is (the 620 is interesting, though) and I don't really like the Yamaha TDM style anyway.
Old 04-Oct-2004, 18:21
Bevel Head

Mood: Grumpy 'Old' Man!
Its good since we might get should get a redesign of the SS range in the 2006 model....