Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Apr-2009, 11:46

Question cracked frame 748

Hello this is my first go at te interweb thingy, any way i have a 97 748 BP with 78000k and my frame tubes running verticaly down the back of the frame between the rear sub frame mounts, has badly cracked on one side and showing sings of cracking on the other, photo available. Has anyone else had this problem? Did you get any joy from yor dealer or the factory?
PS I am quie a light weight and almost never take a pillion. NZ roads can be a little bumpy!!
Old 27-Apr-2009, 14:48
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I've heard of it and seen it on 748R's with the alloy subframe, but not on a Bip. As for how Ducati might see it I can't say, but with that mileage and age you might find it difficult.
Old 27-Apr-2009, 16:03
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Not any cracked frames myself,.....but I know a man that has.My 'ol mate Clarky had a similar issue with the frame on his 748.He posts on here as Mr.Creosote.
Old 27-Apr-2009, 23:08
Bevel Head

Mood: Oooooh, Northern boys love gravy...
Mine was a crack running vertically through both the lugs on one side of the bike where the subframe attaches to the frame, which was spotted at a service. In view of the age of the bike (about 5 years) I didn't bother trying to get Ducati UK involved and started asking around about my options. Even if DUK would have agreed to a new frame no doubt the cost of stripping and rebuilding the bike would have fallen on me. Someone (might have been KeefyB, or might have been someone at my local independent garage, advised me to find someone who could MIG weld; the logic being that MIG welding was the most technically demanding, so the welder would, by definition, be up to the task. Fortunately, discovered that one of the girls at work is married to a MIG welder who agreed to fix it for me. In preparation for his visit I disconnected EVERYTHING electrical which made him laugh, said he would only have disconnected the battery, he then put a clamp on the frame which presumably earths it and proceded to do an extremely neat repair. I was prepared for a major cosmetic disaster but he took great care to use the minimum amount of heat and afterwards I just needed to touch up the weld - the surrounding paint was intact. All in all a top job -- and all for a case of beer. Hope you get yours sorted.
Old 28-Apr-2009, 21:30
Mille

Mood: counting down to mad sunday
"Quite Light Weight!!! Ha Ha.

Sounds like an old shed that is past its best, I reckon you should torch it.
Old 28-Apr-2009, 21:53
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
sounds like an opportunity to strip it, get it repaired then powder coated good as new...and dont burn it, ride it like you clearly have!!
Old 29-Apr-2009, 00:19
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote
Mine was a crack running vertically through both the lugs on one side of the bike where the subframe attaches to the frame, which was spotted at a service. In view of the age of the bike (about 5 years) I didn't bother trying to get Ducati UK involved and started asking around about my options. Even if DUK would have agreed to a new frame no doubt the cost of stripping and rebuilding the bike would have fallen on me. Someone (might have been KeefyB, or might have been someone at my local independent garage, advised me to find someone who could MIG weld; the logic being that MIG welding was the most technically demanding, so the welder would, by definition, be up to the task. Fortunately, discovered that one of the girls at work is married to a MIG welder who agreed to fix it for me. In preparation for his visit I disconnected EVERYTHING electrical which made him laugh, said he would only have disconnected the battery, he then put a clamp on the frame which presumably earths it and proceded to do an extremely neat repair. I was prepared for a major cosmetic disaster but he took great care to use the minimum amount of heat and afterwards I just needed to touch up the weld - the surrounding paint was intact. All in all a top job -- and all for a case of beer. Hope you get yours sorted.
I’ve seen this repair Chipshop and it’s route I’d take.
Old 29-Apr-2009, 10:51

Nice advice Steve B but I think a bit of welding and an overhaul will do the trick.
Old 29-Apr-2009, 21:12
Mille

Mood: counting down to mad sunday
At least its winter time for you.
Give DESMO the tlc it needs and be ready for the summer.
(Hope it doesn't make too much of a hole in the Great Ocean Road Trip budget).

Steve