Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Nov-2005, 11:32
Bevel Head

2nd service on 749s

hi guys, i am new, drinks on everyone

got a qn, what milage is the 2nd service done at on a 749s? is it quite an expensive service? Could anyone recommend a place in London?

cheers
megalite
Old 27-Nov-2005, 11:53
Mille

i had first at 600 miles £230
just had second 6000 miles 5 months old £470
next at 12000 or in a year cost unknown
these were done at ducati bristol

Mark
Old 27-Nov-2005, 12:12
Big Twin

Hi, and welcome!

I think you will get as many different answers as there are people with 749's on here.

Some, like mark749s got a 6k mile/6 month intermediate service. I just changed my oil/filter myself half way through the year, but then my mileage profile is different, about 6k miles in a year.

1st service is 600 miles, and some dealers offer this as cost of parts only.
Next is 6k miles or 1 year and costs around £400/£500, but can vary a lot depending on what needs doing (like how many valve clearances need adjusting)

2nd service is 12k miles or 2 years and is the same as above but also includes changing the belts (which cost about £100) and the fork oil. Expect to pay around £600, but could be a bit more (same as above, valve clearances)

There was a thread active a couple of weeks ago where a lot of costs were quoted.

Sorry, no idea about servicing in london, but I have heard a lot about ProTwins.

[Edited on 27-11-2005 by HW]
Old 27-Nov-2005, 12:32
Mille

henry
It would appear that you are saying that the service frequency is yearly or every 12000 miles.
I was told it is yearly or every 6000 miles

Mark
Old 27-Nov-2005, 12:36
Big Twin

OOooppps ..... doesn't sound right now .... I might have got that wrong

Sorry, that was pre-coffee

Just checked the service book - 12 months or 10km (6k miles), then 24 months or 20km (12k miles).

[Edited on 27-11-2005 by HW]
Old 27-Nov-2005, 13:32
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Based on most peoples mileage being fine weather and sunny weekends the mileage intervals don't really come in to it.
Ignoring the 600 mile run in service, the basic rule is service the bike every "birthday" ie: 12 months from date of registration ... alternate between small service and big service. Big service includes belts, brake fluid, coolant etc on top of the normal service items.

One thing to note is that even if the bike has not turned a wheel it will still require belts every 2 years as these break down and strech even when standing still .... or so the dealer says.
Old 27-Nov-2005, 14:49
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon749
One thing to note is that even if the bike has not turned a wheel it will still require belts every 2 years as these break down and strech even when standing still .... or so the dealer says.

Absolutely true I am afraid. A mate has a 916 that he did not ride for best part of 2 years. He then took it for a service (it was then 3 years since a belt change) and the belts were perished. Really lucky he didn't try and start the motor before having them changes as that could have been a disaster.
Old 27-Nov-2005, 15:47
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
So to clear matters up in my head (i had the biggie done last winter) including fork oil, am i right in thinking I just need a basic small service??? What would be your opinions on getting done?? Bikes done 6 K since last service.
Old 27-Nov-2005, 16:27
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
If you had the biggie with belts last December then you are due a minor service this time.

If it was me, bearing in mind my bike does not get ridden in the winter, I would book my bike in for the minor service early April 2006 .... ready for the easter bank holiday and the start of another summer.

Can't see the sense in servicing a bike now to then leave it standing for 4 months or so. Have it serviced and checked just before it goes back on the road in spring.
Old 27-Nov-2005, 16:45
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon749
If you had the biggie with belts last December then you are due a minor service this time.

If it was me, bearing in mind my bike does not get ridden in the winter, I would book my bike in for the minor service early April 2006 .... ready for the easter bank holiday and the start of another summer.

Can't see the sense in servicing a bike now to then leave it standing for 4 months or so. Have it serviced and checked just before it goes back on the road in spring.

Agreed ... get it booked in for early next year for a 6k (minor) service.