Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Dec-2005, 21:25

Mood: Up Beat
What do i tell my insurance company??

Hi All,

Just bought Termi system for my 749s and didn't really think about it before......What do i tell my insurance company??

Been down this road before when fitting an Akra to my R6 and the first question they asked was......"Is it road legal sir??"
Well, as we all know, the Termi IS NOT road legal so, there in lies a problem!

I'm with H&R who are quite happy with mods as a rule, well, they classified my slipper clutch as a SAFETY DEVICE because it helps stop rear wheel lockup under emergancy braking situations!!

Any of you guys an girls have experience with H&R on this topic??

Who are you all insured with?

What do you tell your insurance?
I'd hate to not tell them, then drop it only to be told my insurance is invalid!

Any help on this matter would be appriciated as i intend to fit it over the holidays.

Thanks
Steve
Old 18-Dec-2005, 21:28
Big Twin

Well, I'm with Carole Nash and I phoned to tell them I had fitted a Termi on the 749S. It put my insurance up by over £100 a year! They know which one it is now though, and at least I am insured. I asked about other mods, and they said they were only interested in ones that affect performance. I don't know how much performance they think I am getting, because it still gets 100bhp on the dyno WITH the termi.
Old 18-Dec-2005, 21:35
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
I'm with a broker who put's my insurance with zenith. They know all about my carbon work etc etc, like HW they are only bothered about performance mod's. All the carbon mod's did not effect my insurance. I never quite mentioned the race can. The can does not carry any "for race use only" markings.

If the worst came to the worst and I binned the bike I would put the standard can back on before the insurnace saw the bike. If I was not in a fit state I have a good mate who would do the can swap for me.
Old 18-Dec-2005, 21:37
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
My rule is to always tell the truth, you can get insured some where else.
Old 18-Dec-2005, 21:40
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
I told Ducati Insurance about my new Termi system.....answer.....it matters not.
Old 18-Dec-2005, 21:55
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Laxtons are fine with the aftermarket exhaust as well.

Go with someone who doesn't really care - at least you're covered that way.
Old 19-Dec-2005, 00:20
Mille

surely you can,nt insure a bike with an illegal part on it , i.e a race can ! they might say its okay but you have a claim and lets see how fast they back track !!! at the end of the day the can says" not for road use " well mine does
im with carbon "oops forgot to mention the can sir "
Old 19-Dec-2005, 00:49
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
surely you can,nt insure a bike with an illegal part on it , i.e a race can !

im with carbon "oops forgot to mention the can sir "

100% Agree .... my suggestion would be to have the "not for road use" polished out.

Even better if the bike is 2nd hand .... blame the can on the previous owner. When you take insurance out the question is "to the best of your knowledge is the bike modified".

Simple answer is no.

If it then turns out that a previous owner has carried out modifications that you are not aware of you can not be held responsible.
Old 19-Dec-2005, 10:58
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I'm with H&R and declared my Termis, carbon and painted wheels etc. It made no difference to the cost as I recall, but you need to tell them about things like that otherwise you risk being uninsured. Not a nice place to be.

[Edited on 19-12-2005 by Twinfan]
Old 19-Dec-2005, 14:29
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
Well, I'm with Carole Nash and I phoned to tell them I had fitted a Termi on the 749S. It put my insurance up by over £100 a year! They know which one it is now though, and at least I am insured. I asked about other mods, and they said they were only interested in ones that affect performance. I don't know how much performance they think I am getting, because it still gets 100bhp on the dyno WITH the termi.

I did the same with my 851 and my katana which has a yoshi pipe on. I think the reasoning on their part is that if you want to improve performance then ergo you want to ride faster, so you are increasing the risk of a claim. I think it also makes 'em more likely to be nicked.

The insurance companies may not be bothered if it's legal or not, but round here ( North Wales ) the police have a fetish for looking at your exhaust pipe . Frightens the sheep if it's too loud don't you know!

Phil