Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jul-2009, 14:46
Mille

Exhaust mods

Has anyone pulled the standard exhaust to bits?
Can I get to the catalyst by just removing the outer sleeve or is the cover only a cover as per 916 etc. with a complete inner SS exhaust underneath?

Has anyone removed the catalyst? is there an improvement in airflow & hence power if using a power commander without an increase in noise?
Old 15-Jul-2009, 14:44
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
I know of a few who have cored the standard cans on a 1098. Not sure if that gets rid of the cat(s) on these bikes.

I'd be a bit wary of butchering a standard exhaust as what will you put on the bike to sell and or MOT it some time in the Future?

I'm not sure where the cat(s) are on these bikes.

Ray.
Old 15-Jul-2009, 14:48
Ducati Corse

have a look here

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/duc...td-cans-2.html

Ray.
Old 15-Jul-2009, 14:51
Mille

Now then Ray,
I wouldn't mind hearing from someone that has done the coring as they should be able to answer my question.

I wasn't thinking of coring the original exhausts as I need them for the MOT but I was looking to remove the catalyst to increase the air flow so I can use the standard exhausts with the Termi ECU & no lamda sensor.

You can see the cat when you take the silencers off & look down them from the engine side & as far as I know bikes are not tested for emmisions during an MOT so removing the cat shouldn't matter.
Old 15-Jul-2009, 15:15
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Thanks for the link Ray it looks interesting. Just in the process of registering so I can see the pictures. If it's too much hassle I'll keep swapping between the termi's & standard depending on track noise levels.

The reason for looking into this is that my Termi is showing signs of overheating after only 4500 miles & I was assuming that it was caused by using the db killers on quiet trackdays also db killers should be called hp killers as a restricted 125 could pass me with them in.

The main reason for the de-cat was because I wasn't sure what the results of having a rich mixture was likely to be. I know a weak mixture destroys cats which is the reason for lambda sensor but didn't want a rich mixture to block the cat.
Old 15-Jul-2009, 15:38
Ducati Corse

I'm no fan of DB killers, i wouldn't be surprised if they are the cause of damage to the carbon sleaved termis due to the excess back pressure they cause.

I'm my experience it's over rich fueling that does for a cat, they certainly don't like unburnt fuel on them at all.

Yep it's hassle swapping systems depending on noise limits, one reason why I don't do any quiet days!!

Maybe it;s worth looking into one of those new fangled Motty fueling thingies, it's reckoned to adjust fueling based on readings from a lambda sensor.

More info here

http://www.afrtuner.com/description.html

Ray.

Last edited by Ray : 15-Jul-2009 at 15:43.
Old 15-Jul-2009, 17:52
Mille

It's absolutely pointless running db killers as the exhaust ends up being even more restrictive than standard.
As long as excessive fuel eats the CAT rather than blocking it I'll be happy.
I'm finding that a lot of weekend trackdays are 98 - 100db & weekends certainly work for me money wise.

With my ability I don't really need any more power on a track so I'll stick with the DP ECU or go back to standard & see if I can flog the Termi.