Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-May-2006, 09:30
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
do you have to do the CSS levels prior to Becoming a CSS instructor......>?

Phil the CSS sent out an open invitation last year to pupils inviting them to a coach assesment day. When I asked what was expected in the way of commitment if you where to be succesfull. The answer was 10 days a year. Thats a big commitment unless you a lazy ozzie basteed

10 days sounds fine....obviously when i stop racing as i cant afford the time for both....certainly it is of interest to me.......but who knows........i may not fit the mould required.

[Edited on 11-5-2006 by fil2]
Old 11-May-2006, 09:43
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Quote:
Originally posted by tetol
so you pay what £300 per level to be taught by tp or am i missing something.

Nope, you have it pretty much correct.
Old 11-May-2006, 09:49
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by tetol
so you pay what £300 per level to be taught by tp or am i missing something.

Why? Being taught by TP is no better or worse than any of the other instructors as they have all passed the instructors test.
Old 11-May-2006, 09:53
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Please correct me if im wrong, what puts me off doing the training is the fact there is no kind of entrance exam.

In that, i mean it doesnt take in to account previous ability good or bad, speed of learning, track time..etc.
Old 11-May-2006, 09:57
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

I think that's actually part of the point Andy.

If you read the CSS books, you'll see that Keith Code's whole idea was to break "riding a motorcycle, fast" down into the main elements which made you able to do it.

The courses ensure that you are doing all of the basics right first, before moving you on to the more advanced stuff - kind of like making sure that your foundations are fine before building higher.

Keith Code thinks that this is just as important as the more advanced stuff because, after all, if you don't know why you counter steer then how can they effectively teach you advanced techniques in it?
Old 11-May-2006, 10:03
Big Twin

When did TP first get on a racetrack then ? must have been a long time ago to be able to have the experience to teach ?
Old 11-May-2006, 10:07
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy2
When did TP first get on a racetrack then ? must have been a long time ago to be able to have the experience to teach ?

What does that have to do with his ability to teach a prescribed method?

Or are we back onto your sour grapes with CSS again?
Old 11-May-2006, 10:09
Big Twin

No mate, just curious really ? looking at most walks of life and the 'teachers' in them in sport, e.g Golf/Tennis/Footie etc...

All the 'teachers' of tequnique are generally old hands with tonnes and tonnes of experience... All the top coaches in any sport i can think of really have been there and done it for many many years ? wrong ?

I have no sour grapes with CSS, myself and Andy get along really well.. As said... the school was really well run.... just wasn't right for me as a person.
Old 11-May-2006, 10:13
Ducati Corse

Weeksy - you dont HAVE to be a god at your chosen subject - just have the thorough knowledge to be able to impart to others the right way to do this.

I might have competed horses to International level (tho mid range there) but had the ability to be able to instruct others to above my own personal ability.

I was able to help a dear mate in axe murderers cut his lap times by 1.2/1.3 seconds 3 years ago by pointing out a couple of minor things to him - which he took on board & applied next time out - and I dont race or do track days - but I do watch.

TP - lessons for me please next time you get a road bike out mate!
Old 11-May-2006, 10:15
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

I disagree completely. You don't need to be an "old hand" at anything to teach someone else. What is required is a solid understanding of the subject and an ability to convey the meaning and ensure that the pupil understands, spotting their errors and helping them to correct them along the way.

That has nothing to do with experience, as in all walks of life. I'm sure you've been taught by many people who had less experience than you on things like IT courses, but their understanding of the subject and teaching ability makes them a better teacher than the "know it all" old fart that sits in the corner and grunts.