Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Sep-2003, 22:10
Mille

Mood: good
Suspension settings anyone???

Hello all, I'm new to this board, and new to Ducati too. I bought my yellow 748 nearly 2 weeks ago and am getting to grips with how different it is to my previous bike, a RVF400!!!

The only thing I want to change at the moment is the suspension settings. It feels far too hard, and bounces off any bumps especially when leaning into corners.

I like my suspension fairly hard, but I only weigh 63 kilos, or nearly 10 stone so think I need to soften it a bit.

Could anyone recommend some settings for me??
Old 08-Sep-2003, 22:31
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Welcome

Not that I have one but here are some suspension settings for some of the newer Dukes - I gleaned them from a bike magazine that is performance related if you get my meaning.

I hope its of use - sorry about the big download!!!

http://ducatisportingclub.com/contro...ad.php?tid=480

Regards - Frank
Old 09-Sep-2003, 09:38
Big Twin

Suspension

Have a go with the search facilty (top left) ...as there has been loads written about this. Also worth trying on the old board. You need to make sure that you are comparing like for like (ie. Ohlins with Ohlins/ Showa with Showa) as the suspension that comes fitted as standard does vary depending on the model/year etc.

You may find that no matter what changes you make the bike will feel firm...is your model a BIP? If so, they are sprung even firmer to allow for the passenger!

A lot of people change the rear suspension unit as a whole for something more suitable, such a an Ohlins unit (perhaps with a softer spring) or get their current unit resprung, and get the forks revalved with ohlins internals etc.

Its something I'm contemplating doing...the change in handling is supposed to be amazing!

Good luck!
Old 09-Sep-2003, 11:55
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Jodycraw

The first thing you need to change is the colour, you will come to know that red dukes are faster!!

Do I lie chaps?

ps welcome to the club
Old 09-Sep-2003, 12:21
Mille

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll read over them and try to change the set-up a bit at a time, see how it goes. It certainly seems a bit more complicated than I first thought!

And to answer your statement, I do actually like red Ducati (possibly more than yellow) but I got a good deal on a yellow one so couldn't say no. Its a '02 E model, with a pillion seat (not that I ever take anyone on the back!).

Cheers
Old 09-Sep-2003, 12:50
Big Twin

Well being an E model will mean that its rear spring will be stiffer than the mono models. Being only 10 stone, you will certainly need to make some alterations to the set-up in order for it to be a bit less prone to hopping and skipping on those bumps!
Old 09-Sep-2003, 20:08
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I guess I am lucky, being a lardy a##e the E suspension, on firmer settings, seems perfect. Answer is simple, go on a proper donut, chips and curry diet!
Old 09-Sep-2003, 20:28
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
First thing to do is write your std settings down !
The check your static sag , 30mm front 10mm rear to start with !
Old 12-Sep-2003, 16:06
Montjuic

Mood: Waiting for the Sunshine
I have to say that i've struggled with the setup of my 998 since new, trying many (probably too many) combinations of everything. And whilst i'm not an expert, I race a 600 and so am not a complete novice at set-up.

The fix is simple - get the right tyres on it (with right pressures), 207RR's for example or SuperCorsa's, and then get up to JHP in Coventry.

They set my suspension up and it's now a different bike.
Old 12-Sep-2003, 22:36
Mille

I tried playing about with it a bit, softened up the front and the back by the same amount on pre-load.

It felt a better on bumps - wasn't skipping around anymore, except till I get on the power through the corner. The back tries to overtake the front, I had to be well careful!! I think I overdid it a bit with turns on the shock...

I think I'll try a bit more pre-load and compression damping. The front felt good anyway