Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Aug-2012, 17:30
Bikes: Ducati 999

Mood: Happy - always
Clutch Squeek!!!

Hi all,

Silly question time..... I have owned my 2005 999 for about 6 months and got caught in the rain with it the other day. Since then my clutch has been really squeaky when you pull the lever in (Squeek coming from the clutch itself!!!).

Put a **** load of WD40 on the springs which can be seen through the open clutch cover and this stopped the squeak for a few days, but it has come back. Also .... occasionally I can't get it back into neutral and pulling the clutch in doesn't stop the bike from moving (as if it's slightly engaged!!!!)

To cut an incredibly long story short.... Do you think I need new clutch plates????.... The bike has done 12,000 miles. No idea if the clutch plates have ever been changed !!!!

Thanks for your help !!!!

Brian
Old 23-Aug-2012, 19:21
Big Twin

Before you spend any money just take out the clutch plates and clean them. Usually does the trick.
Old 27-Aug-2012, 22:18

Yeah, sounds good....thanks for the advice will give that a go.
Old 03-Sep-2012, 19:16

Well; I cleaned the clutch plates and I don't have the clutch engaging problems anymore. However, I notice that when I pull off in 1st gear, the clutch makes a quiet high pitched noise. Going into second gear you can still hear it until the revs come up...then all is well. Apart from anything... It's annoying and obviously isn't quite right!!!!!

Am I at the stage where I have to start spending money?? (I notice it's about £200 for a clutch plate change!!)

Thanks again all

Brian