Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-Jun-2005, 17:58
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy
1. let people race here for 5 years
follows that it could scare Novices away....

2. don't..... and then lose the riders who first brough the class into existence...

So novices get scared away from powerbikes (pointing finger) or how about getting scared away from supersport 600 - the axe murderers?

I think more novices go into these classes than any other.

Don't think experienced racers will put anyone off... they're there to raise the bar, learn from, and beat!!

Old 08-Jun-2005, 18:14
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
2006 thoughts:

Fil and Ali have shown that a BB'd carb bike can beat 620's so machinery-wise it should be a simple 2 classes - 583cc with std CV carbs i.e the "budget" way and 620cc injected (NO bigbores)/674cc carbed.

How you regulate the eligibility of riders is another matter, there will always be a difference in experience and ability as the two are not the same...............

Anyway, back to the supercharger plans....
Old 08-Jun-2005, 18:25
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

How about a 3rd/4th class for JHP/DLS & Geoff?

They're in a clear class of their own anyway

Wonder if I can make it a class of 5 at Snett?

Sixty-howmuch horsepower?
Old 08-Jun-2005, 18:33
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally posted by paynep
2006 thoughts:

Fil and Ali have shown that a BB'd carb bike can beat 620's so machinery-wise it should be a simple 2 classes - 583cc with std CV carbs i.e the "budget" way and 620cc injected (NO bigbores)/674cc carbed.

How you regulate the eligibility of riders is another matter, there will always be a difference in experience and ability as the two are not the same...............

Anyway, back to the supercharger plans....

Thanks Paul, I'm glad I'm not on my own thinking the 675 is plenty capable of stitching up a 620. It was proved at CC when 4 bb bikes matched me on speed and beat me on track knowledge/rider ability.
My sympathies (if that's the right word!) go to the standard 583 runners, but will there be enough entrants to justify a separate class? And would the 583's want to be fighting in their own class for an easy top 3, or making a challenge to pick off the bigger bikes?

As it stands, I say leave it like it is with one class.
If it could be sustained, I would be happy to see this as an entry level series which pervents anyone starting the season w/o a novice licence. But as I said, only if it could be sustained.

I do like the idea of a 2 day event, and maybe this could even be coordinated with 2 nearby circuits (Mallory/Donny?) to make it more interesting.
Old 08-Jun-2005, 18:34
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by paynep

I don't think they have really. They've beaten the 5th or 6th quickest 620, but thats hardly competing is it?

Fastest 620 - 4 seconds faster than the fastest 675 at CC

So you can't put the BB675 in with 620's, it's no contest.

Equally, the fastest BB675 was 3 seconds faster than the quickest 583, so you can't group them either.

...and it's not fair to say "Tune the 675's" or "Fit a BB to a 583"

It must be 3 classes... or 1.

Then you take your pick.
Old 08-Jun-2005, 18:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
fear not DD's, I think it fair to say that if it is weeksy idea is not very likely to happen Sorry Steve could n't resist.

My 2 cents, - very much uninformed opinion so don't read anything into my thoughts:

It is too early to decide exactly what the series will be for next year. Just because it was originally and idea to do it one way this year does not mean it will be the same next year, - both riders and The DSc are learning this year. I think it will stay as a very mixed bunch of people; - I spent a bit of time on Saturday talking to 3 of the top runners (not big message board users) to see how they were enjoying it, if they had any issues etc. I was really pleased to hear that they were happy, - and the main thing that came back was the friendly helpful atmosphere. I was also encouraged to hear from one of them how the lapping riders/backmarkers was not a problem, - as was said; - they have as much right to be there, and knew what the series was about when started.

What the series really needs is some media coverage from the bike press as I am certain that there is a great story to tell here, - and if we get that exposure we could perhaps have 2 series within 1 with 2 starting grids next year?

[Edited on 8-6-2005 by Ian]
Old 08-Jun-2005, 18:37
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
But dom, the fastest 620 was being ridden by an ex BOTTs champion!
Old 08-Jun-2005, 18:56
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I know

So does that mean that a 675 rider should be denied a race win because he/she can't afford a 620?

I think it's great to have such a high level of ability in the series, but saying that a true novice on a 675 should be expected to compete on level terms with a 620 is wrong - let alone a 620 with a BOTT's champion on board.

I'm not saying that everyone deserves to win something, but it needs to be made fairer.

I think if Phil was on a 620, he'd be mixing it with the 'top 4', but he's penalised by running a bike which we were all lead to believe would be competitive against a 620.

A 3 class championship would have no detremental effect on anyone - in fact it would mean more points for EVERYONE and recognition of your efforts on your respective machine.

Unfortuately the wheels came off at Cadwell, when it was blatantly obvious that the 583/675/620 divide was not going to work out as initially planned.

Some people don't care what happens, but there are some people who care passionately and are competitive, and we're led up the garden path to a certain extent.

I think it's only fair to recognise this, and create 3 classes within one race.

What would you rather have got at CC, a 5th & 6th or 8th & 10th??
Old 08-Jun-2005, 20:08
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
I still consider myself a novice racer as a total of 3 SoT meetings last year yielded 2 crashes and 3 finishes, but I don't consider that not having a 620 prevented me from winning at CC.

The guys in front of were either on very similar machinery and rode better, or were on "better" machinery and rode better.

There was no one out there who beat me just because they had a "better" (= newer/more expensive) bike - in fact if anything it was the other way round, Fil, Ali and Mark didn't even have the much-vaunted flatslide carbs that I did!

This was supposed to be an entry level racing series, and ok maybe there are some guys who maybe have the advantage of talent and machinery, but it is a RACE series and therefore it is COMPETITIVE. Even if we all were given identical bikes (DUK please note?) those who are better racers (I try to choose my words carefully) will win.

Mark my words, there will be a carbed bike in the top three within the next couple of rounds.............
Old 08-Jun-2005, 23:21
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
HMMM, My two penneth.
Im sure a few of the 583 guys take great pride in stuffing people with better newer machinery. Its the classic underdog senario isnt it, I used to race a mono quite a few years ago in the SOT and there was nothing better than coming home in front of a 916 ECT, you dont have to win to enjoy your racing. With this in mind I would air on the side of a 1 class championship, But this is just my oppinion...LOL
You may well see a shift in my views after donnington < Why , well because after a big off on the road and completely wrecking my 916 i have bought mike attacks 600ss dd bike and will be joining you all on the grid for a good old race, be it at the front or at the back.
Off topic but a big thanks to Chicken for letting me have my lucky race number back 13.
Im with fil2 and skids on the how long you stay in the series, As long as its popular you bike will retain its value.. If you banish people as soon as the bib is gone, the series will surely follow.
See you all soon
Glyn

P.s. as far as the media coverage goes, i have been in contact with a large italian scooter manufacturer today to see if our scooter shop would be allowed to put up a scooter to the winner of the 2006 season and its looking very good, So no we cant have 2 classes or i will be skint..........AGHHHHHHH